Trading the Moon

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by yoohoo, Sep 5, 2006.

1. swandro - it's Ensign - see link below

Tyren, here's a link explaining the approach...

http://www.ensignsoftware.com/help/pesaventomap.htm

This has limited usefulness. If it agrees with your expectations it feels good. If not, double check your analysis but rely more on your own efforts.

#51     Sep 9, 2006
  2. yoohoo -

So now that the full moon has passed, are you done with the lunar cycle until the next full moon comes, or are there further uses for lunar cycles?

Thanks.

Sandy

#52     Sep 9, 2006
  3. Interesting question sandyqray. Each phase of the moon can have an effect on any instrument and I consider it an important part of the spectrum of knowing well the instrument I trade.

My approach is to look and see how "it" reacts to each phase to see if there's anything to base a trading decision on. So you don't have to rely on the full moon - there are often good trades for every phase that either reverse or run hard and fast around that date.

All it takes is a little investigation to produce an excellent reward when combined with some decent TA. That's why I've included a few charts to show how to drill right down to making an intraday profit.

So look at the history of anything you trade. It helps too if you can colour the bars for the moon phases to quickly see if there are reliable changes.

#53     Sep 9, 2006
  4. Tyren

Tyren

Ok, I remember that map from some years back. It's just price in the past that fits best. I thought maybe you had a overlay of some astro-forecast or something...

Have you tried any astro-program with blackbox/neuralnet or something like that ?

#54     Sep 9, 2006
  5. Tyren, yes I tried but it was no more consistant than the map, and setting up the planets etc. takes a lot of effort for no better gains.

However I wouldn't call myself an astro expert by a long shot. It's a matter of finding things you can put your trust in and becoming consistant, and that's something I now have.

#55     Sep 9, 2006
  6. Tyren

Tyren

So your bias for the next 3-4 trading-days are that the S&P500 is going up ?

#56     Sep 10, 2006
  7. Tyren, basically yes my bias is up. However I won't say for 3-4 days as each day I take the patients pulse and temperature - in fact I do that frequently intraday.

I've attached a chart that shows intraday support. While the move down looked bad on the daily charts, this shows there was another side to the story. (The dates look messed up as I had to squash the chart to get all the relavent data points.)

If you look at the influence of this lunar cycle, sometimes it only kicks up for a day or two, other times it's a strong run. What I was looking for was a pull back to allow the move up to happen and got it.

Intraday the hourly charts look overbought and that makes sense in this wedge, but a break upward thereafter would be very positive. So while the base line holds the bias is up.

I love day trading because you can really grab the market by the throat. Position trading over 3-4 days is less precise.

#57     Sep 10, 2006
  8. Tyren

Tyren

Last month the CPI and PPI moved the $SPX, the two long white bars.

#58     Sep 10, 2006
    ghtrader likes this.
  9. Yip and there's a lot more economic data that is a must to keep aware of. Tue, Thur and Fri of this coming week are biggies.

#59     Sep 10, 2006
  10. This is the beauty about daytrading. See updated chart.

#60     Sep 11, 2006