trading the momentum cycle

Discussion in 'Journals' started by padutrader, Jul 5, 2018.

1. _eug_

_eug_

im guessing on FOMC minutes there will be a big move...

#31     Jul 5, 2018
  2. I don't know of Brooks other than as referenced by other ETers. I wouldn't espouse "a trade every 5-minutes", but there are at least 1 or 2 playable "day-swing" trades a day most of the time.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    #32     Jul 5, 2018
  3. cafeole

cafeole

Al says there are several good trade setups a day. However, no offense to padutrader, this is not one of them. If he had waited for the double top and took Al's reversal setup he would have been much better.

#33     Jul 5, 2018
  4. padutrader

padutrader

but you cannot get 'several good set ups' for swings a day, you may get two...the rest are for scalps

#34     Jul 5, 2018
  5. padutrader

padutrader

can you indicate on chart where i should have shorted? just for discussion..and thanks for taking part...Baron may give you too a gift

#35     Jul 5, 2018
  6. padutrader

padutrader

yep thanks for that...... i closed my short for a small profit.... i do not want to risk a position during the minutes....i am going to sleep peacefully

#36     Jul 5, 2018
  7. treeman

treeman

I’ll add, that there are 2 things that can happen after momentum dies. The second is basing. From a base, price can do anything. I’d wait for the confirmation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    #37     Jul 5, 2018
  8. treeman

treeman

He’s actually telling you the opposite. He’s telling you to get comfortable with a bunch of setups and only trade the high probability ones. Not every one. The 200 day one is money. I’ve caught a few knives on the 200 day.. I just don’t catch knives anymore.

#38     Jul 5, 2018
  9. cafeole

cafeole

I can't see the prices on the chart very well, but there was a double top just after you entered. If you had waited, there was a head and shoulders later that lead to a selloff.

#39     Jul 5, 2018
  10. cafeole

cafeole

BTW, you just showed an example of one of Al's biggest beliefs - 90% of the time (i.e. no large BO), you can pretty much place a trade anywhere and make a profit IF you manage it correctly. Trade management is WAY more important than entries.

#40     Jul 5, 2018
    volpri and Handle123 like this.