Trading (the) Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by sKaLpZ, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Everyone should read this post. Your broker makes many multiples of what you do, and takes many multiples less risk. Your surest bet is to ask for, and get, lower commissions. Or else walk to the next broker.

#21     Aug 7, 2005
  2. Talk about it one more time.

#22     Aug 7, 2005
  3. "There are a set of money management rules that you can create in a system...."

LIR, can you indicate what some of these rules are? thanks! :)

#23     Aug 7, 2005
  4. jond83

jond83

holy grail to me means to seperate all my emotions from trading.

#24     Aug 7, 2005
  5. Interesting approach!

#25     Aug 7, 2005
  6. I've thought about what you're saying, believe me... yet I tell myself, how could the broker make more than I do (in currency trading) when I open a trade and the broker takes 1 or 2 pips (the spread), then I close the trade and make over 100-pts, for example.

#26     Aug 7, 2005
  7. Does everyone agree that the HG needs have all emotions factored out?

Personally, I think Jond83's point is valid and would say that this is a component of the HG.

#27     Aug 7, 2005
  8. Sent you an email a week or so ago, SkalpZ, we can talk about it on that if you want to reply...:p

#28     Aug 7, 2005
  9. By the way, I also think emotions need to be taken out of trading to find the HG (no emotions = no stress + clear & objective decision making).

Furthermore, I honestly don't believe you can find a system that will NEVER result in a losing trade. If you can't accept losing as part of trading then find a new game to play, in my book.

How can a HG remove emotion (even when you do not involve emotions in your decisions) when you are still in control of your money, whether your system is good or bad? If you are inherently emotional when you trade then this wont go away just because you have a good trading system- you could be greedy, too scared whilst offside etc.

I suppose belief on your system as it proves itself will minimise emotion over time, but if you get angry when you lose and over-euphoric when you win, this is still a handicap in my opinion...

This is why you need trading rules i.e. money management that you believe in and STICK TO.

#29     Aug 7, 2005
  10. Example (always positive, never a loss): you mail me a (valid) lottery ticket.

[edit] zero cost, positive payoff in some states

#30     Aug 7, 2005