Trading The Hang Seng

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hangsengtrader, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.. I am done for the week - maybe I should have hung on a little longer...that's ok

[​IMG]:cool:

#11     Nov 26, 2008
  2. jtnet

jtnet

where @ if u dont mind me asking?

#12     Nov 26, 2008
  3. Yeah dude, be really slow to get in, and very fast to get out. I have seen that this shit move 50 points in 5-10 seconds (about $300-$340)....and imagine if you were trading 2 contracts and had a small account....aaghhha :(

#13     Nov 26, 2008
  4. I am in GA....regarding trading tonight, I am not sure yet, I got relatives and well I don't like it when I am trading....we will see - and Ross Hook, that is a big loss in the HSI you did last night, 746 Points it would seem to me that you held to a trade WAY too long or you had many contracts

Happy trading

#14     Nov 26, 2008
  5. I don't trade Hang Seng, but I do watch it every night while I'm trading Taiwan (STW). When the Nikkei is on lunch break, the Hang Seng tends to be the dog while Taiwan is the tail, at least until the Nikkei comes back.

I would like to trade Hang Seng, but the thing that gives me pause is the spread... I know it's manageable and all but I like the idea of being able to buy or sell on the inside of the bid/ask and not give up to much edge if I want out of a trade immediately. I also like to know I won't have more than 1 tick of slippage when a stop gets hit. I would love it if the HKFE created a 5 point spread for HSI just like the Nikkei... I'm sure they'd get a lot more volume (& revenue) that way too. I can't think of any reason why having a wild spread is a good thing.

#15     Nov 26, 2008
  6. There is also a mini Hang Seng contract

#16     Nov 26, 2008
  7. About how much is it per tick with the mini in USD?

#17     Nov 26, 2008
  8. def

def Sponsor

The HSI does trade in 1 tick increments. No guarantees on slippage on market orders as the future can be quite volatile.

The mini (mhi) is 1/5 the HSI. (So instead of 50 HKD per tick it is 10 HKD per tick or roughly $1.25)

#18     Nov 26, 2008
  9. Specificaly which contracts and which exchanges are you referring to?

I found:

1) HSI.............Hang Seng................HKFE
    2) MSI............Hang Seng - mini........HKFE
    3) NI225.........Nikkei 225..................OSM
    4) NI225_M.....Nikkei 225 - mini..........OSM
    5) NK.............Nikkei 225..................SGX
    6) AP.............SPI200......................SFE (Sydney Future's Exchange)

What do you think about the above contracts?

I'm mostly concerned with spread and liquidity?

Thanks
    gotta_trade

#19     Nov 26, 2008
  10. I thought the HSI mini (MSI) was illegal to trade as a US citizen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

#20     Nov 26, 2008