Trading the Gooniverse...

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TheGoonior, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Nice. Was just curious. Yeah, it's a good approach actually.

Options and stops are really difficult. I never used the underlying as you need to take into account theta burn and vega. I found it very tough.

#11     Oct 26, 2009
  2. It actually has made it much more relaxing to trade, actually, since I have defined my risk for even a full 2ATR move. It's really just there as insurance in the case of a huge gap, but since I trade near the money options, the option delta also insulates me somewhat as well. Ideally, my reversal signal will get me out at 1ATR or less, so normally the 2ATR is never even threatened. The combination of delta, position size for a 2ATR MAE, and my reversal signal allows me to sleep at night!

(Plus, I don't play pharmaceuticals, if I can help it :) )

#12     Oct 26, 2009
  3. Update: 10/26/2009
    XOM, MCD, and TRV all failed to trigger.

PORTFOLIO
    LONG: NOK
    SHORT: WMB, KFT
    (added to WMB today)

#13     Oct 26, 2009
  4. lol. Great to hear. Well GL with it. I'll be watching this thread.

Reversal on 1 ATR. Ahhh. That makes sense now. I couldn't figure out why it was so wide but now it makes more sense that 2ATR was only a catastrophic.
    (shows my lack of reading ability
    :p ) jk.

#14     Oct 26, 2009
  5. Actually, it's not a 1ATR move that signals the reversal, it's a close outside of my defined boundary (where I consider my trade to be invalidated). Typically those seem to happen within a 1ATR range.

#15     Oct 26, 2009
  6. Watchlist (10/27/2009)
    LONG: UNP, OVTI (doesn't meet volume spec, but I'm watching anyway)
    SHORT: VALE, COF, TCK, PWM, MCD (setup still valid from yesterday)
    Setup triggers later tonight.

#16     Oct 26, 2009
  7. SETUPS: 10-27-2009
    Mistake in previous post with PWM. Meant to say PWE, but that is discarded because I have 4 setups in my list already. Nice setup, though.

HOLDING
    LONG:NOK
    SHORT: WMB, KFT.

Expect NOK probably will get knocked out and set up to reverse tomorrow.

#17     Oct 26, 2009
  8. UPDATE:
    BOT +1 MCD 100 JAN 10 60 PUT @2.85 CBOE, MCD MARK 59.06

Other shorts invalid now....TCK spreads were $0.20 when it triggered, so I passed. Too bad.
    NOK closing below 12.98 will mean I reverse.

#18     Oct 27, 2009
  9. Comment:
    It doesn't look like UNP or OVTI will be triggered today, but I've got my orders in anyway. To keep spreads within my limits, I'm using 1 strike OTM, rather than ITM/ATM. This means you have a couple more contracts (lower delta means less reaction to the same adverse move), but your move out of the gate might not be as fast either (delta works both ways). It does have the added benefit of more protection if the market makes a big move against you, and on a sustained move, gamma will really help you rack up the gains. I've noticed that the OTM options have been having tighter spreads as of late, so I'll probably start using those more often. If you get too far OTM, you need a huge move and a huge position to make a decent profit. In this case, theta is your enemy as well.
    Maybe I'll post a chart or two this evening so I can document my method and keep me on track.

#19     Oct 27, 2009
  10. UPDATE:
    BOT +1 MCD 100 JAN 10 60 PUT @3.20 ISE, MCD MARK 58.61
    Adding to MCD position

#20     Oct 27, 2009