Trading the FOMC

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by steve46, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Sorry Samson/Woody, your comedy act isnt appropriate to the thread.

If you have something of substance to add do so, or leave.

Steve

Edit:

Dealing with children can be such a pain in the ass: :)

Each time you do this I am going to respond the same way.

At this point in time the thread titled "steve46" over in Feedback section has 3,424 page views!!!

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60755

#31     Jan 31, 2006
  2. Bitstream:

I am glad to receive any intelligent comment. You don't need to be trading futs. If you are interested and have the capacity to think critically thats enough for me.

The pivots used in my charts are not modified, they are daily pivots that come with Esignal. Part of the reason they work is that other traders use them. This is true of moving averages as well. Not only do individual traders use them, but institutional traders as well. As one can see from the charts price "seems" to know where these pivots, moving averages and channels are.

I happen to know quite a bit about "why" this is so. What matters however (and I have said this to some of you out there before) is not "why" but "how" (Simon are you out there?).

The reason I started the thread is to show traders how professionals manage and control risk. Anytime you have significant volatility, risk also increases. Knowing how to prepare, knowing how to research and what to look for are only part of the game. One also needs to be able to develop a procedure that they can rely on, and that has an edge.

This general approach would work not only for FOMC meetings, but for earnings reports on equities, to trade auction dates for bonds, bills and notes, and for CPI and PPI reports.

Good luck folks
    Steve

#32     Jan 31, 2006
  3. Steve--thanks for the insight, I will reply in due course: have to go to bed, it's almost 5.00 am here and I am feeling pretty exhausted.

All the best.

#33     Jan 31, 2006
  4. Thanks Steve for starting this discussion, most useful information.

#34     Feb 1, 2006
  5. Kind of you to say so. Thanks.

#35     Feb 1, 2006
  6. Steve, that's a truly expert demo !

Did you take all the 4 moves that were available from 10 to 1 ? viz.

Long entry at around 10.30

Short entry at around 11.00

Long entry at around 11.30

Short entry at around 12.30

#36     Feb 1, 2006
  7. Unfortunately, the Complain link won't remove any of his posts. I thought I had a valid reason covered by the forum's behavior guidelines when I complained that 4 out of his 5 posts (he had 5 posts at the time) were created for the sole purpose of harrassing a popular member of the ET community.

#37     Feb 1, 2006
  8. simonee

simonee

Steve is great like always.

#38     Feb 1, 2006
  9. Word of caution is in order here. Steve 46 is not a trader he is more like a librarian who gathers info from other sources and presents them here. There is nothing original in his posts and there is no trading experience behind of any of "his" observations.
    He will try to get you to subscribe to paysites. That is his goal.

#39     Feb 1, 2006
  10. Jeez this thread had nothing to do with selling any product, just discussing a strategy, did you have to troll? You accuse him of trolling yet you butt in here for no reason.....

#40     Feb 1, 2006