trading the dow

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Nivla, May 13, 2002.

1. Nivla

Nivla

Ok i am thinking of start to daytrade for a living, i am really looking at the dow, i am trying to understand it can somone tell me ok the down when up 160 points today what does that means if i got in at the open i would have make 1600 on one contract is that really possible?
    Also can someone tells me if i would be better off trading the options

2. With all due respect: if you don't have the answers to these questions then you are not ready to trade them! You should find the right product meeting your own risk tolerance and comfort level. Nobody has the right answer for you!
    Good luck!

3. you might want to test your skills on the DIA.beginners shouldnt use leverage till they know what they are doing.

4. ctrader

ctrader

5. The s&p minis (ES) are much more liquid. You need to get more info before you start trading. Check out the exchange websites.

www.cbot.com

www.cme.com

Good Luck !

Snake

6. There are different contracts for the DJIA. Best choice for trading with a direct access broker would be YM (YM02M) 5 $ per point. The standard contract DJ (DJ02M) 10 $ per point is trading via open outcry and you cannot access this market thru IB TWS or PATS JTrader.

7. stevet

stevet

Nivla

the answer to your question is - yes - that sort of number is possible - but you always have to check the futures open and not the cash to really know the amount it may have been possible to make intra-day

but its a job - and you have to do a lot of work to learn - so you should get that amount

one year to learn the basics and another year to hone your skills and develop a style

and you only make it if you are a "trader" to start

all the best