Trading the after hours rally from friday

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ghostzapper, Sep 6, 2008.

Will the after hours rally hold?

1. Yes, expect further upsaide monday

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No, it sets up a good sale on monday

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. it'll hold better than this thread will hold in trading

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. The SPX closed Friday at 1242.31 and the ES at 1241.00. There was no significant rally in futures after the cash close. The ETFs made the move after futures closed at 4:15 EDT.

#11     Sep 6, 2008
  2. Excuse? Where did I say es? I said spy and the spy traded after hours at 125.85 +1.43 on over 10M traded.

#12     Sep 6, 2008
  3. Read your own posts. In the post that started this thread you said "The futures rallied hard after the close friday." and 3 post back you said "The S&P futures, the spy's etc.".

You brought up the subject of the futures rallying and the simple fact is that they did not.

We all agree that the SPYs rallied, but it happened after 4:15 PM.

#13     Sep 6, 2008
  4. I've been around just long enough to say that the spy represents the most liquid future I know of. I'm sorry you want to argue semantics on a sat. night, but I do not. Most people know what I meant.

sleep well.

#14     Sep 6, 2008

5. SPY is not a future contract, and no, most people who trade futures do not know what you meant. You may argue that it's "semantics", but then again, I can make an argument that pork bellies represent metal futures, as they contain certain amount of mercury, lead, iron, and zinc.

#15     Sep 6, 2008
  6. It is not semantics, any regular trader knows the difference between futures and ETFs and doesn't go around calling well known trading vehicles by the wrong name.

Try putting SPY trades on Form 6781 and see what the IRS does to you.

As far as liquidity, why don't you calculate the daily dollar volume of the SPY and the ES and see which one is higher.

#16     Sep 6, 2008
  7. Is that why so many people were able to understand and vote in the above poll?

Look dude, if the spy goes +1.43 after hours, that's the equivalent of the futures rising. Judging by the results of the poll, most regular people who don't have an axe to grind understood quite well what I meant.

And as far as the es, it's the small fry index and i've never traded it in my life. To me, spy is the best and most liquid representation of the "immediate future" of the S&P index.

Good day.

#17     Sep 7, 2008
  8. Wow, you really do live in your own little world.

Quite obviously you didn't bother to do the calculation of the dollar volume of the ES versus the SPY. Every trader I know looks to the ES for short term market guidance, not the SPY. The only people that would look at the SPY rather than the ES are pikers that can't afford a futures data feed.

#18     Sep 7, 2008
  9. I think we will see a rally on Monday from the daily hammer reversal on the regular session.

My feeling is that the after hours bump up is the prelude and catalyst to a huge rally on Monday and it looks to me like the market wants to react to the FNM/FRE pending news with an upward pop.

Hopefully we can push higher to stronger resistance levels for a decent short op, been sick of this sideways crrrrap of late!

#19     Sep 7, 2008
  10. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

i agree with that. that kind of hammer almost always portends a rally but as traders we need to assess the market on a daily basis or else we become "former traders".

#20     Sep 7, 2008