Trading Technologies awarded patent for DOM

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bundlemaker, Aug 12, 2004.

1. LRD

LRD

"Harris developed this technology with TT and TT brought it to market to help the industry, and patented the product to protect it. Electronic trading was in existence for over 10 years (including throughout the dot-com era) before TT released MD Trader and the financial industry had nothing like MD Trader until TT brought it to market. In fact, MD Trader was radically different than the preexisting trading systems and TT needed to convince many traders that MD Trader was superior. There are still people who use the older style trading screens (such as Level II style screens) in the futures industry and other asset classes have yet to widely adopt the MD Trader style-trading tool. TT understands that many electronic futures traders who began trading sometime in the last four years may have only seen trading applications with MD Trader-like tools. These individuals do not know, because they never experienced it, what the order entry systems were like before MD Trader".

Anyone buying this?

#41     Aug 17, 2004
  2. On August 12, 2004, Trading Technologies International, Inc. (“TT”) filed a
    lawsuit against eSpeed, Inc. (“eSpeed”) in the United States District Court for the
    Northern District of Illinois in Chicago, alleging infringement of TT’s U.S. Patent
    Nos. 6,766,304 and 6,772,132. The ‘304 patent issued on July 20, 2004 and the
    ‘132 patent issued on August 3, 2004. The patents relate to functionality of TT’s
    MD Trader™, which is a component of TT’s X_Trader® trading software.
    “MD Trader is an important invention that I developed along with TT. I brought it
    to market with TT because I thought it would be of tremendous value to our
    customers – brokers, traders and exchanges. I believe that MD Trader
    represents a fundamental shift in interactive order entry and will continue to be so
    for many years to come. I believe that MD Trader and other TT innovations have
    added tremendous volume to the futures industry, and will eventually offer
    tremendous value to all asset classes, and we intend to protect our intellectual
    property,” said Harris Brumfield, TT’s CEO.

#42     Aug 20, 2004
  3. Well,

At least they are suing the deep pocket guys. We can all sit back and relax for the next 5 years while they sort it out...:)

#43     Aug 20, 2004
  4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

Good observation. its not just the trading arena though - but true of the software industry full stop.

#44     Aug 20, 2004
  5. LRD

LRD

As I've never been a pit trader I wonder if anyone could help confirm or deny a story I was told. Apparently traders used to draw their own 'Mercury bar' style displays of price and volume. I'm interested in whether this could be considered evidence that the Mercury bar, as patented recently by Trading Technolgies, isn't an original idea.

Any views?

#45     Sep 13, 2004
  6. jeffgil

jeffgil

I never heard of the Mercury Bar..... most traders I know including myself frequently use Alcock's Bar, River's Bar and Stocks and Blondes on Wells Street. JG

#46     Sep 13, 2004
  7. LRD

LRD

Mercury Bar
    493 3rd Ave
    New York, NY 10016

Phone: 212-683-2645

Mercury Bar
    451 Ormeau Rd
    Belfast
    Co. Antrim
    Antrim
    +44 28 9064 9017

#47     Sep 13, 2004
  8. jeffgil

jeffgil

what a coincidence! I'll was just planning a trip to Belfast. Thanks for the details.

#48     Sep 13, 2004
  9. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ft/20040929/bs_ft/1c9cb6c8126711d9863e00000e2511c8

#49     Sep 30, 2004
  10. jeffgil

jeffgil

I thought this was about the DOME ??? Does IB have one?

#50     Sep 30, 2004