Trading Technologies awarded patent for DOM

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bundlemaker, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Check your PM box zdreg...

#31     Aug 14, 2004
  2. TGM

TGM

JoHa,

TT first brough out Md/trader (market depth trader) in the summer of 2000. I was at the Cbot. I believe they officially issued it toward the Fall of 2000. Maybe August or September. Brumfield came up with it. I was impressed and started using it immediately. The current version is a FAR cry from 5.0 or whatever it was called back then.

They will come to some conclusion with the exchanges. If not, Harris and TT may look like bad guys and hurt potential future customers. You know small traders who may some day move up to their platform. Or face a lot of resistance from brokerages. By the way. Pats charges fees every time a trade is punched on their platform. It is not free---just baked in to your commission costs.

#32     Aug 14, 2004
  3. Lancer

Lancer

#33     Aug 15, 2004
  4. Wasn't Lava bought by Citi recently?

#34     Aug 15, 2004
  5. Banjo

Banjo

yes

#35     Aug 15, 2004
  6. What a bunch of crap - it's nothing but a damn L2 display with integrated ECN order books.

It's turned into a game of who can file a patent first on something people already use.

This is like the joker in Chicago who got a patent on a web browser functionality that was in the damn W3C specifications and then tried to sue Microsoft (since they've got the deepest pockets). Only after everybody started yelling did the PTO say they were going to reconsider the patent.

The PTO is a joke - as if this kind of crap isn't enough, they've been issuing patents for things that occur normally in nature, e.g., gene sequences that exist in someone's body, plants found in the rain forests, microbes found in an underwater toxic vent, etc.

How the hell does it make sense to grant a patent for something that already exists naturally and therefore can't in anyway be considered an invention or unique new concept???

Some dickhead doctor merely identifies a gene sequence that naturally exists in someone with a certain disease. The damn PTO gives him a patent on that gene sequence. Now nobody can develop a freaking cure or test for the disease using that gene information without paying the first asshole a royalty for using something he didn't even invent.

A patent on a cure/treatment or a test makes sense - but on a freaking gene that's already in people's DNA??

The PTO just keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm filing for patents on air and sunlight. :)

#36     Aug 15, 2004

7. Not quite true. I personally know of at least one firm/product using the idea back as far as 1998. And, as previously pointed out, it's a column of numbers.

I think I"m gonna patent the use of the decimal point and fractions.....

#37     Aug 16, 2004
  8. qdz3se

qdz3se

Cool.

:p

#38     Aug 16, 2004
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

DOM underground club now officially open, we will provide DOM masking technology for our member, who wish to use DOM for trading but don't want to pay royalty for it; to casual observers DOM will look just like a plain duck quacking happily on the trade screen but our member thru our patent-pending decoder glass thingy will be able to view the true DOM with squawk sound to boost.

#39     Aug 16, 2004
  10. nkhoi

You are really funny... :p

#40     Aug 17, 2004