Trading tax software for last minute filers

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by EliteEd, Apr 19, 2008.

1. aicohn

aicohn

I don't care what you appreciate or don't.

Your abrasive & childish attitude has lost & will lose you many customers.

I have a system I've used for years that does what I need without the need for hours spent with customer service every time there is an upgrade & another which is a constant headache to use. Which do you think I'm going to use?

You presume much when you claim to speak for the majority of users in this forum.

It is clear there are a number of angry former users of your system & anybody who would willingly sign up for this deserves what he/she gets.

As far as your upgrade working, that became irrelevant when you inappropriately threatened in your email to terminate the customer support I'd paid for. You lost me as a customer with that statement & the only question became whether your would refund me willingly or I'd have to complain to the authorities to get it.

You should really think that's too bad, but evidently you don't care. And that is very illustrative of your mind-set as regards customer service.

It's not a matter of "bad mouthing" you or your system. You reveal yourself by your actions & your reputation among your (former) users.

That's all.

#41     Apr 28, 2008
  2. shfly

shfly

Have used and continue to use TradeLog...Some updates, but no problems whatsoever...

Any questions have been answered promptly, especially the Fidelity extra screen for the sign-in using BrokerConnect...

Great program!

#42     Apr 28, 2008
  3. Shfly, Your comments are a lot more credible for me considering you have posted on many different subject threads over the years compared to the whiney "MD" who has a total of 12 posts on ET, all bashing Tradelog.

Thanks for your input !
    I have been searching for a good log that I could also use as a trading journal/diary, chart my win rate performance, weekly/monthly profitability and prepare the year end Schedule D.

It would be nice if I could paste or link a chart to the notes section of Tradelog so I could go back into my trades and look at the signals I took (mechanical trading systems). Do you know if this is possible? If I take a screenshot of my completed trade (chart) is there a way to put a link into Tradelogs Notes section that would bring up the screenshot? How would I do that?

I use 2 brokers and already know I can merge all trades into one Schedule D with Tradelog, however, does Tradelog have the ability to show all open positions from both brokers on one screen as well?

#43     Apr 28, 2008
  4. tradelog

tradelog

condorll, thanks for your positive commment.

TradeLog does not have the ability to store charts in the notes field. We have thought about this but it would require changing our plain text datafile to something more robust as a relational database which would add much additional overhead.

Open positions can be monitored using the open position popup window. But since we keep separate data files for each brokerage account, you cannot see all your open positions from all accounts in on popup window. This will be addressed in our upcoming ver 8 due out later this year.

You c an get a free trial of the software from our main web page: www.armencomp.com

#44     Apr 28, 2008
  5. Regarding the storing of charts within the tradelog folder, if this cannot be done, can I put a link in the note field that takes you to another location on the hard drive?

For viewing open positions in Tradelog when you use 2 brokers is it possible to open 2 instances of tradelog on the same machine, one for each brokers data file, thus viewing open positions in 2 popup windows?

#45     Apr 28, 2008
  6. tradelog one of the scary parts of tradelog and for that matter all the programs is if you lose your harddrive you're screwed. yes you can save to a flash memory stick but you must start your sch d over which throws everything off. WHY DOESN'T TRADELOG SAVE YOUR INFO SO WHEN YOU LOG ON AT ANOTHER COMPUTER IT REMEMBERS ALL YOUR INFO?say i've entered 2000 trades threw june and my hard drive goes out i have my info threw june saved on flash but it's already got my totals summed up so when i start from june-dec on another hard drive its like starting over. with a firm like ib its no problem as they keep your records for 2 years but many firms only keep up to 3 months of records

#46     Apr 28, 2008
  7. tradelog

tradelog

The notes field is plain text and cannot be a link to somewhere on your hard drive. But this is an interesting concept that may deserve some further research.

Yes, you can open 2 or more instances of TradeLog each with a different brokerage account and different open positions windows.

#47     Apr 28, 2008
  8. tradelog

tradelog

TradeLog allows you to save a backup copy of your data file any time you like (File, Save As). This backup file can be saved anywhere you like and named anything you like and contains everything about your trading account in one concise plain text file which is extremely compact. It can be saved to a flash drive (or any other removable storage device) which can then be moved to another PC if you wish.

TradeLog data files are typcially located in your "my documents\tradelog" folder which is where Microsoft suggests that you store your data files, unless you optionally pointed your data file location to somewhere else on your PC.

If you use a PC you should always have a backup plan as hard drives occassionally crash, or a lightining strike may render your PC useless. There are many 3rd party backup programs and devices including windows backup which allows you to save more than just ytour TradeLog data files.

#48     Apr 28, 2008
  9. yes i know you can save it. but lets say i've saved 1/2 my year and the totals on sch d say total sales of $5 million. ok lets say my hard drive goes out and i have to start my second 1/2 of the year of tradelog on a new computer. i'l have 2 different sch d's with 2 different total sales. IS THERE ANYWAY TO RECONSILE THE 2 DIFFERENT SCH D'S SO I HAVE 1 SCH D FOR THE IRS? it seems this way i'll have 2 different sch d's( 1 for the first 1/2 of year and one for the second 1/2 of year. saving the data really does me no good if i'm trying to get only 1 sch d.

#49     Apr 28, 2008
  10. tradelog

tradelog

If you have saved your data file with 1/2 of the year imported and your hard drive crashes, you can simply copy the saved data file to your new hard drive (or new PC), open it with TradeLog and continue importing the rest of the year just like nothing happened.

You should not be printing a partial schedule d for 1/2 the year and then somehow combining these. You run the schedule d-1 report at year end only. But you can run the G&L report (or any other report) any time you like throughout the year for analysis.

We will be having a webinar on "Getting the Most out of TradeLog" tomorrow at 4:30PM EST which may answer some of your questions: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/457654230

#50     Apr 28, 2008