Trading tax of .25% on all transactions! Have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ArcticTrader, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Thats insane. Although I just buy and hold for a few months now, back when i was daytrading, I was doing 20 million dollars of trades per month. That tax would've cost me $50,000 per month on top of the 3-4k per month commissions/SEC fees i was already paying!

This tax would not stop daytraders anyway...they would just get up at later hours in the day and trade stocks in china or india.

#11     Jun 26, 2009
  2. Uhm, no they won't. If they had any ability to do so, they would have done it already as there are more edges in Eurex than in US markets.

The tax is on the docket and it's up to the Wall Street firms whether it passes or not. It will have exemptions just like the LSE VAT tax.. Which means more money for them.

#12     Jun 26, 2009
  3. ArcticTrader

ArcticTrader Guest

Not sure what you are trying to say here... how is it not possible for people to trade Eurex? My broker allows it.

I guess if you are saying that all American companies will be taxed on transactions no matter what exchange the transaction occurs on, then it should be possible to open an account in another country, trading Eurex or some other international exchange. Unless of course that's not possible for Americans for some reason? I am not from the US myself, so I'm not that familiar with the specifics for American citizens...

#13     Jun 26, 2009
  4. Here is the site I've been using to track this bill and others I'm interested in.

As you can see, it's been sitting in committee since it was introduced and shows no signs of going anywhere. I heard someone say recently that unless a bill is introduced in both houses of Congress it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing. There's been no mention of this in the Senate.

#14     Jun 26, 2009
  5. So why aren't you trading it?

#15     Jun 29, 2009
  6. wow cant afford a quarter of a penny per dollar transaction? We tax gasoline to keep the roads in good condition,,if we need a financial system and since the financial system almost destroyed the world economy they should be taxed to put those funds back into the governments coffers.
    It would also take away some of the slosh in the cash flowing around the world distorting the markets
    Most people have to pay taxes everytime they purchase goods in stores

#16     Jun 29, 2009
  7. That's good and all but the government doesn't really know how to spend money the right way. We're funding a slush fund for the government hacks that make it rain every couple of months with huge spending. Only an idiot would want to give them money; of course most people have to.

#17     Jun 29, 2009
  8. ArcticTrader

ArcticTrader Guest

Because it's not part of my trading plan - I prefer crude oil, the russell 2000, and soybeans.... just personal preference.

#18     Jun 29, 2009
  9. Wow! You guys are clueless.

This will be come into being, much much sooner than any of you savants think. For the good of the world of course.

http://www.un.org/ga/president/63/interactive/financialcrisis/PreliminaryReport210509.pdf
    Start your reading bottom of page 110, Innovative Sources of Financing

Poopoo the UN as you will, all the while acknowledging they remain well connected and capable. Conference took place June 24-26, the final very abbreviated document is here http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/CONF.214/3&Lang=E

#19     Jun 29, 2009

10. De Fazio's a wack job. His bill won't get very far. Do you know how many politicos in D.C. would have to pay up HUGE?
    Won't happen.

#20     Jun 29, 2009