Trading Systems..

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Trend Fader, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Anyone know any trading systems that allow you to backtest fundemental and technical data.. something similar to portfolio123.com??

2. You can do it with amibroker when you use QP2 or QP3. But you have to make the necessary connections ( earnings > previous qtr, etc) in your system code. Never done it myself, but I know that its available.

3. Hi,

you can populate QuantDeveloper database with news, fundamentals and corporate actions and then use these events in playback, strategy development, backtesting, etc. Custom data types are also supported.

You can download QuantDeveloper from www.smartquant.com/quantdeveloper.php for free and use it till the end of summer (end of beta testing period).

Cheers,
    Anton

4. Hmmm. According to quantdeveloper.com, they want a lot more than nothing. According to their web site, they want $2,750.00 before we're allowed to test it. There's a BIG difference between free and $2,750.00.... And, that $2,750 does not even include (another, large, unspecified sum of) money for the source code... if you want to customize the code

IMO, eventually Quant will soften their hard line; no free trials probably mean few or zero sales so far; I, for one, don't feel like shelling out anything; there are many other/better products/deals on the market; my list is getting longer every day.

5. Are those video's on the website that show how to use it supposed to have audio (i'm assuming they do...but i don't hear any).

6. I rarely ever watch video sales pitches any more.

For ONE, it's the specifics that count... like, for example, exactly what parameters (P/E? ROE? Analysts' Average Recommendation? And what else?) I'm allowed to use when I create a screen or back test.... and little or none of that stuff is going to be in that video sales pitch.

TWO, I'm not sure if I like their "quant" (i.e. quantitative) research/trading technique they employ. It seems just a fad. The biggest problem with "quant" strategies in managing your porfolio is that the best ones don't last long. Models that work in one market environment tend to fail in the next. Therefore, if you want to run a quant portfolio...

A) Back testing is not going to have any value for you, because, remember, the best ones don't last long. Additionally...

B) You're going to spend ALL of your time trying to consider and reconsider the model(s) you choose. FYI, read http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2003/tc20030930_4253_tc131.htm. Also...

C) Remember, high costs are the mortal enemy of compound annual growth. Consider the excessive (12 x $300.00 = $3,600.00) yearly fees you will have to keep paying. Let's assume the net value of your portfolio is $180,000. Then $3,600 divided by 160,000 equals 2% per year. Consider what John Bogle says in his great book, "Common Sense on Mutual Funds". He says, "A $10,000 investment that grows at 12% a year for 40 years (good luck finding 12% a year for the next 40 years, but stay with me) would be worth $931,000. Now, lop off the two percentage points for a 10% average annual growth rate, and you're left with a $453,000 -- less than 49% of the value of the 12% return!"

7. A. effortlessly? I don't want anything that is effortless cause that would mean a lot of people are probably doing it.

B. That link doesn't work....got the right one?

C. 3,600 a month is pocket change.and its fixed. (i'm assuming that's what they charge? I haven't explored the website much yet) Regardless i don't think there target market are the guys trading with ameritrade and using briefing.com for their "research". :p

Agree with you on Bogle's comments though.... fees and transaction costs make indexing actually look good though i'd arging as Jon Mauldin does in Bullseye Investing that the glory days of indexing are largely over.

For this generation....it seems to be a stock pickers market...that is why there is such an interest in these quantative methods lately, well that and the proliferation of it as well as the ever increasing ease of use.
    :)

has anyone been able to play the vid on that website and get audio or is it just me?

8. Okay, Mr. "3,600 a month is pocket change", It's your money, not mine... go ahead and do spend it, but sorry, I have no time to watch any video sales pitches.

9. Hamlet

Hamlet

It's $3,600 per year, not month. If thats too expensive for you (even if it were per month) then why are you here? You have to be willing to spend money and take risk in order to make money. Otherwise put your money in a CD.

10. =====
    Hmmm. According to quantdeveloper.com, they want a lot more than nothing. According to their web site, they want $2,750.00 before we're allowed to test it. There's a BIG difference between free and $2,750.00.... And, that $2,750 does not even include (another, large, unspecified sum of) money for the source code... if you want to customize the code
    =====

Well, let me clarify. We have been offering free beta testing for more than half a year. QuantDeveloper is currently out of beta and we will offer a fully functioning demo version. Both the beta and the demo are free indeed. $2.750 is a promotional, fixed price that you can pay now to purchase a life time license. 300$/mo indicates that, with full integration of TT FIX and X_Trader XTAPI, we are shifting our focus to institutional customers and professional traders. I think you know that X_Trader Pro is priced at $1400/mo and yet is used by more than half of all professional futures traders worldwide.

Regards,
    Anton

#10     Aug 31, 2005