Trading Systems That Work

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by PietdeWit, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Who has read the book: "TRADING SYSTEMS THAT WORK" from
    Thomas Stridsman. I like to know your opinion about this book.

2. Ditch

Ditch

Hi,

I've read this book. It contains a lot of programming code for TS, which isn't my thing. However, I found his Directional Slope System to be of great value. I have incorporated that in my system. By the way, are you from the Netherlands?

regards,

Ditch

3. bora

bora

Pietdewit and Ditch,
    I see that you 're both from the Netherlands. Where do you live in the Netherlands? Great to have some dutch traders on the board:)

4. Ditch

Ditch

Hi Bora,

I live in the neighbourhood of Rotterdam. Where are you from?

Ditch

5. Hi Bora and Ditch

Yes, I'm also from the Netherlands. With such a name I cann't hide it! I live in Middelharnis on Goeree-Overflakkee.

Ditch, are you trading short-term?
    I'm specially interested in intraday trading and I'am planning to devellop (several) intradaysystems with TradeStation.

6. What do Hollanders think of American people? I know a guy that knows a guy that was there and he said that the people thought of us as stupid Americans? Is that true?

7. Since I see there are 2 people from the Netherlands posting in this thread, I have a question for both of them.

I have heard that you can trade tax free in the Netherlands and several other European countries. I was wondering if it is true that anyone living in the Netherlands would pay zero taxes on any futures trading profits because there are no capital gains taxes in Netherlands. Is this true?

Also, do you know if this is also the case with Belgium? I have heard Belgium also has no capital gains taxes and that futures trading would be considered a capital gain there?

The reason I ask is that I am in Canada, making a lot of money from trading, and am going to end up paying 46% taxes on the profits if I stay here. But my father was born in Belgium in 1943 and has dual citizenship. I have been told my a tax professional that the children of ex-Europeans (like me) can easily gain citizenship. So I was considering getting a dual citizenship and be a citizen of both Belgium and Canada. This could potentially mean I pay no tax on trading profits instead on 46% tax to the damn Canadian government.

So I would appreciate some info from Europeans on tax issues, especially anyone from Belgium or the Netherlands who knows about these things first hand. Thanks.

8. bora

bora

Vinny1: Most dutch people like Americans:) . Hey, if the Americans did not helped us in WWII......

Ditch: I live in Limburg

canadian dude: we pay capital taxes here in The Netherlands, it's 1.2%.
    The governement thinks that you will make about 4% a year on your capital. And you pay 30% taxes. so 30% from 4%= 1.2%.

9. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

canadian dude, indeed it's easy to get citizenship if your father has it.
    However citizenship is not relevant. you need to be resident in the netherlands (same with belgium, but I don't think belgium has almost no tax gain, netherlands I know for sure since I used that).
    if you are resident of Canada (you live most of the year in Canada) you can't claim the zero tax.
    you are supposed to declare your worldwide gains (and be taxed!).

if you do plan to move to Europe, be aware that it costs a lot of money to live there (buy a house, car etc..). Well everything is relative. Some part of canada are very expensive to live in, so maybe you'd still see an advantage.

tntneo

10. I am prepared to live in Belgium or Netherlands to get a 1.2% tax rate versus a 46% tax rate in Canada. I make a lot of money trading futures, well over 100% a year, so it would be very worthwhile for me.

My original plan was to use the fact my father was born in Belgium to get a dual citizenship for myself. Then I figure I could live 5 months a year in Canada, and 7 months a year in Belgium, thereby falling under the Belgium tax system because I live there more in the calender year than I live in Canada.

And if Belgium were to impose taxes on my trading profits, I could just live in the Netherlands instead and pay this 1.2% tax which sounds like a dream come true for my situation. The fact I would now have Belgian citizenship would allow me to live in the Netherlands under the EU agreement, is that not correct?

#10     Jun 27, 2002