Trading systems business

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DT-waw, Jan 23, 2002.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

I wonder how many systems can be sold in a year by the most popular vendors. I'm talking about systems like: Aberration, Arcs, R-Mesa, Anticipation, Cyclone.

Anyone knows?

Thanks,
    DT-waw

2. That's a good question, and I have no idea of the answer. Perhaps I'm wrong, but my guess is the advent of direct access daytrading in stocks really hurt the commodity systems business.

3. trdrmac

trdrmac

Hard to say how many in total. Last year when I met my girlfriend she took me to a seminar by a guy named Gary Williams. It was basically rehashed Wade Cook stuff, yet there must have been 200 people in the room, I think the cost was $400 per couple. All I know is after I lose my first million I am hitting the seminar circuit.

:cool:

4. Nebeno

Nebeno

I always assume that if any system worked even half as well as advertised, it would not be sold in the first place. And if they were not confident enough to put money on it, and would rather have steady income from sales, why would you want to buy it? From what I've heard, that's pretty much the truth of it. But are there any others reasons people sell systems, systems which do work? Just out of the goodness of their heart perhaps? Fame and inflating ones ego? System design is more enjoyable than trading to them? Able to trade systems, but unable to control emotions while trading it?

Just curious

Ben

5. I did a little performance test on what I believe is the Aberration system. It basically performs as indicated on continuous contracts, but when you take roll-over into consideration (with slip, commission etc) the performance deteriorates significantly. Especially the energies goes from looking great to being consistent losers.

Edit: I did the tests about 2 years ago.

6. I think another issue with commodity systems is that most of the consistently successful ones are pretty simple. So the vendors are not really giving any secrets away, despite what they would have you believe.

7. oolarinm

oolarinm

Not just commodities , but all trading as a whole. If their is a super system , it will never be sold to the public. What do you think GSCO will pay for such a system??? if it really works

8. dottom

dottom

Companies like GSCO already invest in such systems by investing in hedge funds with proven track records. Whether the hedge fun is 100% mechanical or some degree of mechanical + expert trader's discretion varies, but this is where the "best of the best" systems traders eventually gravitate.

9. Anyone with any luck with trading rooms? (e.g. undergroundtrader.com or eminitrading.com )