Trading System vs Trading Method: how different and what differences?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by OddTrader, Jun 30, 2008.

Trading System vs Trading Method: how different and what differences?

1. They are very different!

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. They are almost the same!

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. I don't really know or understand the issue!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. There are many authorities on this. They are in basic agreement as well.

It certaintly is anyone perogative to do anything they want or think anything they please.

When it comes to making money or becoming a successful trader, at some point a person making a serious endeavor must school himself in these matters for several basic reasons.

Having a clear understanding of the heirarchy of trading is about the midpoint in this grueling endeavor. Anyone can fool around as long as they wish and anyone can skip this task. As stated here it is not even a constructive task.

#21     Jul 1, 2008
  2. Words, words, words! :D

#22     Jul 1, 2008
  3. And more words. Each having very little to do with those adjacent to it.

#23     Jul 1, 2008
  4. Here is an illustration from "Trading and Exchanges", Larry Harris, Oxford, 2003). Larry is a Tucsonian, former head of the SEC, and a well known academic.

The orange colored boxes are the general aspects of the heirarchy I follow; these lead me to the specifics I use in my model. Developing the model gave me three systems, primarily defined by the data inputs and signal outputs to the markets via IB's.

Systems are composed of three well known components: a Structure, a process within the structure and results of the process. As with any system it is iteratively refined by doing a science long called systems analysis.

In another thread you asked about statistics of a system with respect to a type of instrument that was not an input to the system. I explained the degree of analysis in the system in terms of one of its variables and explained that there was no data on the instrument not used in the system. You asked again for data on ETF's which are not part of the system.

You respond to my post in this thread with words, words, words.

I can see that you do not read my posts; that is perfectly fine with me.

#24     Jul 1, 2008
  5. Thanks for your kindness, and consideration! :)

#25     Jul 1, 2008
  6. d) None of the above.

I have a Trading Model that utilizes several systems all based upon the same method.

:D

#26     Jul 1, 2008
  7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i say...

1.) a trading method is a guy like jack hershey who continually evolves his madness to fit his failures.

2.) a trading system is well defined and can be replicated by anyone to achive the same results.

3.) #1 = hide from the truth by contrast #2 = face the truth.

mark brown

#27     Jul 1, 2008
  8. This thread is another example of ET muddle-headedness misleading ignorance or vice versa.

Understand the words "hypothetical constructs" and you will realize how stupid or foolish you are. Or, should I ask this question:

Stupid vs Foolish: how different and what differences?

#28     Jul 1, 2008