trading system i have developed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by diversions, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Shirley you can't be serious. Don't you consider giving out any form of password to strangers, even if it is just a sim deal, a risky endeavor?

#11     Aug 14, 2017
  2. i have to be able to provide something for a claim that must be assumed false or mistaken

#12     Aug 14, 2017
  3. i have tested it manually. of course is not the same. it is an indication. as i stated in my post

#13     Aug 14, 2017
  4. Let me see if I understand this. You want to hire a programmer who will pay you to code your system. Is that right?

#14     Aug 14, 2017
    SteveH likes this.
  5. no silly to use it. of course if you program the thing i would not charge that would be of immense value to me. the program might be difficult i don't know enough about programing to estimate the degree of difficulty

#15     Aug 14, 2017
  6. d08

d08

Few things:

1. I can't seem to locate drawdown. Without a drawdown (percent) number it's impossible to say anything about it. It's about drawdown vs. profit (total and periodical) almost always.

2. 138 trades is very little, insignificant especially when...

3. You only have less than one year of data in sample.

4. Looks like you're risking a lot to make a little, that's why the curve is so jagged. Losing many months worth of profits in a day is a sign of an unusable strategy (in current form). Note that it will also cause you major stress and is demoralizing, an event like that is often followed by bad decisions in later months.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    #16     Aug 14, 2017
  7. i trade reversals and i use small stops. you are right the sim stuff can be picked apart.i was using it for research and not as a back test. i just noticed it might be impressive to some one less educated. here is what i am saying; if you consider all the futures markets on finviz and a use as a stop 3 times the distance between your entry and the low and a target equal to the distance between your entry and the low, you will never find 2 consecutive losing trades not in the future not in the past. you will be given a reasonable amount of time to find it or my payment would be released from escrow.

#17     Aug 14, 2017
    Simples likes this.
  8. Xela

Xela

Have I misunderstood you, or is your target a third of the size of your stop-loss? (I'm not saying that makes it necessarily unprofitable, but if that's so, you're clearly going to need way more than this number of trades before you have anything realistic to "show". To put it mildly.)

Why are over 90% of the trades long and fewer than 10% short?

#18     Aug 14, 2017
    comagnum and speedo like this.
  9. dartmus

dartmus

If you aren't depending on getting filled on a limit order, or other nonsense then forward testing a method via a sim account is a viable record of the success that can be attained trading live in your regular account. This rule applies even to a sim record of discretionary trades.

But since you're drawing attention to the method, and offering it forsale, it's unlikey it's viable, so post the idea publicly, so it can be debunked and you can move on sooner. If you really believe you haven't been cheating the simulator, then it's best to fold this thread by saying you discovered an error that invalidates your testing. Then trade your method quietly without posting about it.

#19     Aug 14, 2017
    Xela and speedo like this.
  10. speedo

speedo

To piggy back what Xela posted, if you're looking for reversals, ideally you want sizable gains when you are right and a close leash when you are not. And yes, reversals occur in both directions.

#20     Aug 14, 2017
    Xela likes this.