trading system development

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by cassidpp, Mar 20, 2007.

1. cassidpp

cassidpp

does anyone have a suggestion for where i'd find information on the development of a reliable computer system on which to run a trading bot.

Obviously if one intends to build a system that will run on its own its important to be assured that your system won't fail. So a system needs a good fallover mechanism, right?

Has anyone got suggestions for books/web resources which will aid me in building such as system?

Paul.

2. You may wish to consider outsourcing this.

I personally would be more concerned with connectivity reliability and redundancy with low latencies etc.

Some options you might want to research:

http://www.limebrokerage.com/index.php?title=Lime_Brokerage_LLC
    http://www.velocityfutures.com/Fix_platform.html
    http://www.tradewallstreet.com/accounts_platinum_automated.htm

Whether you decide to co-locate your own built server with one of these guys or rent one of theirs, you might get some ideas re: recommended hardware for your specific requirements by having a chat with them and leverage their extensive experience in the area.

3. tzlf

tzlf

You can try Linux.

I'm using Ubuntu Linux as platfom for my forex trading system development. I run six PC as a cluster in my house for computing intensive task. Currently my system can get 0.7-0.9 pip profit per trade and generates hundreds of trades a day. With my experience, a PC running Linux can be up for months with out a single reboot.

4. using Linux, what software do you use for graphing? Any source of technical help here?

5. tzlf

tzlf

If what you need is just a stable server side for the automated trading system, Linux can do the work well, but if you need graphic and charting, Linux is not a good choice, because most commercial charting softwares out there don't support Linux.

For me, the major reason to use Linux is the cluster computing capability. I need a in house cluster of PCs to perform some computing intensive tasks for my automated trading system development.

6. cassidpp

cassidpp

tzlf, so you're not using linux for the charting side of things?
    or have you managed to get charting software that works?

7. 1. If you are able to test a trading system correctly, you would have the ability to actually setup an in-house automation system.

2. The fact that you are asking a question like above shows that you are not ready to put a system in live conditions.

3. My suggestion is to stay away and read through the larger thread in this topic.

8. tzlf

tzlf

I do charting on Linux with a private charting software written by myself in C++ and GTKMM. Currently the software is quite simple but it is enough for my personal use already. With a private charting software I can apply what ever weird ideas in my mind into visual chart and this helps me a lot in my system development.

A snapshot of my charting software is attached to this message.

9. cassidpp

cassidpp

tzlf, do you know if this is possible in java also?

#10     Mar 25, 2007