Trading system can't short SKF/FAZ/SRS - need ideas on alternative symbols to trade

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by OptionsOops, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I just looked at the pricing of SKF puts. Mar 140. Wow! The spread is 50 cents. This is detrimental for scalpers.

Shorting SKF with puts... can only do it at swing points. The spread can kill me.

#11     Mar 13, 2009
  2. UYG and FAS prices are too low. You need to buy many of those shares to achieve the desired effect as 1k SKF. If you pay commission on a per share basis, this is not viable.

Been watching GS versus SKF. Not a good substitute but viable.

GS moves slower and less than SKF. The ratio is about 2:1 to 3:1. So shorting 1000 SKF = maybe long 2000-3000 GS. GS is priced lower than SKF. Not quite 2:1 now but comparable.

Today's swing: SKF 149 dropped to 140 or so. 9 point drop. the same time period: GS 96.00 to 99.00, a 3 point gain.

Short 1000 SKF, gain = $9000
    Long 3000 GS, gain = $9000 (pay more in commission if counted per share)

#12     Mar 13, 2009
  3. Here are my results using unbundled pricing and relative orders. The 0.0037 per share orders are a bit weird, I thought I would be charged 0.006 or so for removing liquidity.

UYG:
    0.0012 per share
    0.0037 per share
    0.0037 per share
    Average comission 0.00288 per share

FAS:
    0.0037 per share
    0.0012 per share
    0.0012 per share
    Average comission 0.002 per share

URE
    0.0012 per share

I bet if you gave it longer than 5 seconds to execute you could get more filled at the lower commission.

#13     Mar 13, 2009
  4. Options guy.

I also had an amazing trading system where I was making incredible daily gains in SKF UNREAL!!!!

after several months of laughing all the way to the Bank something mysteriously changed. NO MORE IB SHORT SALES!!!!

I figured 1 to 2 days worst case until some came available,.. well its been over 3 weeks and not 1 share,. This is total BS, I called the headoffice IB and asked what was going on, as usual they didn't know? They did say all of North America even other Brokers can't get SKF short sales at all???
    next i found out that all the UltraShorts all at the same time can NOT be shorted. I find this very suspect since the timing to short these was perfect for profits to the downside, yet not 1 share is available.

I tried the inverse Long idea also as the other poster suggested but they just don't work or move like the master.

I also pass the days looking at the gains I am missing out on, frustrating as hell. Let me know if you find another way.

anyways, I think you can guess what is really going on here. nothin changes.
    good-luck

CyberMaster

#14     Apr 4, 2009
  5. Are you guys insinuating this is another fake rally in the markets? Gee, who woulda thunk ;-) PPT has been playing hard for the last few weeks for this "rally!" You can see it in a DOM for /YMM9 - the market starts to go down and "mysterious bidders" hop into the market looking to buy HUNDREDS of contracts! The market is not being allowed to go down. When it is allowed to go "down" - it is kept within sight of break even or like they did on Friday - a mysterious last few minutes "rally" and the Dow ends up over 8,000 - can't let the markets go down you know - King O may look bad - can't have that! Oh, wait, I forgot - we need some jackass to chime in that all the bad news published last week was "priced into the market already." I don't know if you could play single stock futures in some sort of short like the ETFs - sorry! I'd love to have a way for you to short the crap out of this fake rally!

-gastropod

#15     Apr 4, 2009
  6. I had problems borrowing shares of SKF to short about 2 weeks ago. Last week and this week I could freely short SKF as many shares as I want. This might be individual brokerage firm (clearing firm) issue.

#16     Apr 4, 2009
  7. NYC212

NYC212

I could not short these on my platform as well. tried to short SRS this week and couldnt do it:(

#17     Apr 4, 2009
  8. what broker?

#18     Apr 5, 2009
  9. if SKF shorts come back and show u all how to rip this market daily for $$$$

#19     Apr 5, 2009