Trading Styles for ES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by VisionTrader, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Its not spam...Its a free report for anyone..nothing is for sale..Just helping out..I get very positive feedback from those on the list now.

#11     Jun 28, 2003

2. Okay. You have to understand, I am an Idiot. Can you tell me a little more here. A couple questions -

Who are the professionals? What is a scalp trade for them?

You are saying that if there is a resistance level at 1000 and price breaks this, then take a long position.

I do not understand the concept of sell a rally? Are you saying, if price moves up quickly and unusually (rally) that it will normally correct and this is the setup and you would take a short position.

Also, do you stay long or short until support or resistance levels are violated?

Thanks for helping.

#12     Jun 28, 2003
  3. Sorry. I just want to learn what others are doing out there. I want to know what kind of profit goals others have. I live in my own little world here and don't get out much.

I go by the concept that most people like to help and are honest. I would expect lots of shades of gray to be painted in these replies.

Nice handle btw.

#13     Jun 28, 2003
  4. What's a scalp to you? How many points? What's your risk/reward? How many trades per day?

#14     Jun 28, 2003
  5. Do you try to read her hand each morning and hope to establish a position for the day? If so, what are you looking for in points? How do you set your stop loss?

How and when do you determine your position? Early morning?

I assume from your post that when you scalp, you trade several contracts. You said your stops are tiny. How tiny? Are they a lot less than my 1 or 2 pt stops? And what are your profit targets on these scalps?

Thanks for helping.

Do you have positions open for several days or is it a daily strategy?

#15     Jun 28, 2003
  6. This is really interesting. Do you take short positions to capitalize on the "fear factor". If not, why selling all the time.

Do you scalp these short positions? If so, what is your risk/reward. How many points per day/week/month do you hope for?

How many trades per day do you average?

Would you mind explaining to me what a "trading range" is?

#16     Jun 28, 2003
    #17     Jun 28, 2003
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

There are a thousand ways to trade ES that work.
    You have to decide on what works for you.
    And how much exposure to risk your account can afford.
    Swing trading can have larger rewards...but larger drawdowns too.
    Scalping has lower drawdowns, but more chance of failure because of market noise.
    And you need to decide the rhythm of the market....length of the trends and have a method for each one.

#18     Jun 28, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The win rate need not have anything to do with profits. Depends on the extent of the drawdowns and the profit targets. You can have a high win rate and still be a loser.

#19     Jun 28, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Cathy's correct. To think that you have to scalp in order to turn a profit is simply not true.

#20     Jun 28, 2003