Trading Stupid

Discussion in 'Journals' started by pattern traitor, Jun 26, 2011.

1. For my first trade on my new laptop, ETFC! I missed the early swings and bought it at a near term high then watched it whip around for a while and finally sold it at... +0%, a few hundred bucks.

Not a disaster on what looks like a crazy day.

#21     Jul 25, 2011
  2. Though VLO would bounce on the open, it didn't. Selling on the rebound: -2.5%

#22     Jul 26, 2011
  3. Disappointing but educational morning. Bought JNPR on the open thinking it would bounce. It did, but hours later, and at that point I got greedy and waited for it to go higher... at which point it collapsed back to below my purchase price. Sold for a small profit, but essentially another +0% day.

Makes me want to break my margin rule.

#23     Jul 27, 2011
  4. Feeling especially Stupid.

Still wanted that bounce in JNPR, bought it on open, and kept hoping for it until I was down 3%. I surrender, Mr. Bear.

#24     Jul 28, 2011
  5. Been away from the market for about a week and, looking at the bloodbath and my strategy for going long, that's almost certainly for the best. Had a family emergency on Friday and decided that with my bold, irrational moves earlier in the week I would be well served to take some time off.

Still up a bit less than 23% on the year, and if it looks like there are good options tomorrow I'll give it a go.

I think I failed to take the sudden gains seriously and felt more secure playing fast and loose with them. The losses felt plenty real, however, and I think I've swallowed that lesson now.

#25     Aug 4, 2011
  6. Heh. Trade today? Nope!

#26     Aug 5, 2011