Trading Strategies for Swing Trading and Daytrading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by candletrader, Oct 31, 2001.

1. The reason i ask is because it seems day trading is, for the most part, dead.

#91     Jan 22, 2007
  2. Sorry for the 3.5 year delayed response to your 2007 question.

I am restarting this 2001 thread, since I have made the decision to return to daytrading after having problems with the scalability of my internet poker over the last couple of years.

The trading environment is in a constant state of change and what works one year will often be unprofitable the next year.

Many of us will remember the days of fractional quotations, where one could make a series of high probability scalps over the course of the day for great money.

We all remember the significant periods of range contraction, making it very difficult to play intraday momentum.

We now have the problem of automated high frequency trading programmes, reducing the effectiveness of several intraday strategies that used to work.

From personal experience, there can not be a fixed set of plays which will always work, and it is important not to confuse killing the market with a given intraday or interday approach with trading success forever.

The key is adaptation. Those who use to trade for teenies and quarters are dead if they did not adapt. Those who traded momentum during periods of range contraction would have slow bled if they did not adapt. Those making obvious intraday plays on stocks followed by HFT programmes may not be dead as yet, but will be significantly less profitable if they do not adapt.

To answer your question, I will not be swing trading for the time being. But when I believe the environment is suitable for swing trading, I will do so.

In terms of timeframes, my feeling is that the intraday longer timeframes seem to be offering good opportunities for the time being. When (and it is a when and not an if) this changes I will adapt, either to shorter timeframes or to longer timeframes. In terms of strategies I will also adapt to mean reversion approaches when trends no longer work for me.

The only strategies that work are the strategies that work for the time being, and only if they are aligned with your trading beliefs, since execution of a strategy is impossible without believing in it. There are no holy grails that will last for any significant period of time, so it is best to adopt the Darwinian mentality to trading and indeed to life in general i.e.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Adaptation may very well have to be on a daily basis. Adaptation is like Mastercard: a flexible friend.

#92     Aug 23, 2010