Trading stocks with little money

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by gurillaradio, May 4, 2007.

1. Why not go IB and trade expensive stocks ?

At half a cent to a cent a share theres not much commissions...and with all the volitility lately you can easily swing a more pricey stock(20+) for 5-10% over the course of 1-2 weeks. Not saying that would be your expected return, but you get the drift...

#11     May 7, 2007
  2. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

#12     May 7, 2007
  3. Here is what I would do if I were you:

- Get a sharebuilder.com account and buy one of the ishares ETF. I would stick with the Morningstar mid/large Value index at this point in time. We cant be sure if the market is overextended and value seems like a good pick. It will give you a decent return and any market events wont tank the fund too much.

- For the next year or so, live an economical lifestyle and make bimonthly contributions into the ETF

- During the time you are saving, papertrade, read and research. Learn as much as you can.

I think its very destructive to just jump right in. I say you need at least 6 months of reading, practice and research (and of course more capital).

You should learn your lessons with notebook paper, not with the green paper.

#13     May 7, 2007
  4. buster123

buster123

Which direct access companies in the usa currently offer the most leverage , im currently with ib who will give me x4 leverage intraday on usa stocks . i only trade intraday never hold overnight,
    Im not suggesting anyone should levergae up to the hilt.but just curious as to whether i could leverage up more if need be elsewhere,and still get competitive commissions.
    im a uk trader and currently get as much as 10 times leverage in the uk.

#14     May 7, 2007
  5. IB Requires $5000, so if he only has $1500 then it's not an option.

#15     May 7, 2007
  6. This thread should be renamed, Trading Stocks with NO Money.

If I were the original poster, I'd spend my energy and time getting really good at poker. With $1500, you can bankroll yourself and work up from there.

Once you're good at poker and have made some money, roll into stock trading.

All the energy and knowledge you will have invested/gained from poker will pay off exponentially in trading.

Now, if you never make it in poker you then know that you won't make it in trading.

$1500 just isn't enough. Then again you could always just gamble it, that's probably what you will be doing anyway with what you would be calling "trading".

#16     May 7, 2007
  7. mde2004

mde2004

send me that $1500 and call it a day. You can not even buy 4 shares of GOOG, so how do you expect to make any money trading. I guess on a good day you could buy three candy bars with the gains, lmao.

#17     May 7, 2007
  8. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

#18     May 7, 2007