Trading stocks a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NY_HOOD, Mar 7, 2009.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

a few guys i spoke with yesterday brought up something interesting. they said trading for a living(daytrading) could prove to be a thing of the past. with this new tax initiative focused on stock trading and the world fed up with wall street,trading my kind of wither away. my fried thinks in 15 years we will look back and say 'remember when we could just wake up and walk to our computer screens and make 1k in about 20 minutes"...
    everything changes and nothing lasts forever,trading my disappear as we know it;not completely but definitely from a day traders stand point. watch,there will be new rules put in place to stop further drops and volitility. this is going to be interesting. too much money has been lost and the world has lost total trust in wall street. the governementis going to implement measures..watch...

2. welcome to forex...

3. There will always be something to trade. With change in the market comes opportunity. People have been calling the death of daytrading since it started.

4. the1

the1

Regulation is coming on Forex too and when the world switches to a one-world currency Forex will no longer exist. Big changes coming for sure!

5. Before that happens you will first see the sun rising from the west.

As a matter of fact, the current crisis has the potential of increasing the number of currencies in the world due to a probable break away of a few nations from the European Union.

A one-world currency can only materialize after a prolonged global prosperity period.

As far as regulation it is highly unlikely...

6. They will tax that too sooner or later.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/glotax/currtax/index.htm

"The foreign exchange market is the largest market in the world, with an estimated $1.9 trillion currency traded per day (2004). This means that in less than one year, currency worth 10 times the global GDP is traded. Of this massive amount, international trade in goods and services, which requires foreign exchange, accounts for only a small percentage ($9 trillion per year) of the total trading. Meanwhile exchange rate speculation accounts for at least 80 percent of the global currency market. These speculative movements, which can take place rapidly and unpredictably, threaten to empty central banks' currency reserves and trigger financial crises such as those in Mexico (1994), East Asia (1997-98), Russia (1998), Brazil (1999), Turkey (2000) and Argentina (2001). These crises have had far-reaching socio-economic consequences, throwing millions of people into poverty and unemployment.

James Tobin, David Felix, Rodney Schmidt, Paul Bernd Spahn and others have examined the possibility of levying a charge on international monetary transactions as a means to reduce exchange rate volatility and promote international economic stability. In addition, the revenue generating potential of a tax is tremendous. A tax rate ranging from 0.005 to 0.25 percent would generate between $15 and $300 billion per year, of which a substantial amount could be allocated to promote international peace and development. A UN study has estimated that about $150 billion per year is needed to meet the Millennium Development Goals, including halving the proportion of people living in extreme poverty and hunger by 2015, ensuring primary schooling for all children, and reversing the spread of HIV/AIDS, malaria and other major diseases."

7. bone

bone

The President, the White House Chief of Staff, and the Senators from Illinois and New York will quietly derail the securities tax idea based upon their core home constituencies - they will argue that the increase in capital gains tax rates is sufficient.

8. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

don't know about FOREX but trading equities in in danger.i know people have been calling the death to day trading for years but this time is different.the administration hates wall street and everyone needs a scape goat..those scape goats are the guys that attempt to make money off volotility. i am worried tighter regulations will TAKE PLACE and all these small firms are going to have a very tough time. if you noticed the past 2 years,little by little the regulators have been coming down on day trade firms. first it was having a series 7 and shutting down Tuco,now its going to be the hedge fund structure,,.its sad but true and lots of people are going to be out of a job. its going to get too expensive and hard to make money scalping. thats my point..they will declare war on scalping.