Trading Software for Beginner

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by almostatrader, Mar 1, 2003.

1. bora

bora

BTW Ensign's playback function is great, i advise you al to try it if you 're still paper trading or testing strategies/methods. You could try it for 7 days, and $40 a month after that, and it is 100% worth the money.

#11     Mar 5, 2003
  2. Regarding TeleChart (TC2000) -- I use it, although I complement it with instant charts from my broker, and free charts from www.stockcharts.com.

TeleChart has "a little of of everything", and it's not a bad place to start. But if you're a programmer-type, you'll quickly exhaust it's script language for stock screening (the complete lack of any if/then logic is a real blocker for me.) The biggest drawback to it IMO is the lack of "backtesting", and that it's so time-consuming to get a middle-of-day update you may as well consider it an end-of-day analysis software.

But for the price, it's not a bad stock screener and "watch list" organizer.

If you go on their website and get a "free trial", just let the trial period expire. Worden Inc. will send you junk mail for a few weeks asking you to renew.... then announce a "sale" for about 25% off. That's when I take the bait. :D

#13     Mar 6, 2003
  3. There is a nifty backtest software that works with TC2000.

It is called TC-Companion.

www.traids.com

A must have if you use TC2000 as your primary screening software.

I found it quite useful for EOD backtesting.

#14     Mar 7, 2003
  4. Shankar

Shankar

If you look for system testing on end of day systems I would use www.wealth-lab.com. It is free and has more features then most of the expensive software out there. Charting on the website is rather limited.

#15     Mar 8, 2003
  5. I found this site where you can download metaserver for Interactive Brokers:
    http://www.traders-soft.com/metastock/msrt/index.htm

Do you or does anyone else here know how to get it to work to set it up to feed IB data to Ensign?

#16     Mar 31, 2003
  6. AlexBrett

AlexBrett

Hi,
    Check www.strategyrunner.com. It provides Strategy Tuner with tick-by-tick data of the last three years, has a playback ability to simulate trading with intraday tick files, the programming language to backtest trading systems is C++, and it is free.
    Good luck :D

#17     Mar 31, 2003