trading skew

Discussion in 'Options' started by johntsai90, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jim c

jim c

Thx Nazz. This makes sense. I guess I kinda thought interest rates or currencies could "panic" in either direction. (they do but your answer makes sense). So we get sort of a reverse skew in the grains and ags? This makes sense to me also. . Thx for your answer. Have a good weekend. jim

#11     Nov 20, 2009
  2. The dynamics of the skew in rates differ somewhat from those in other asset classes, but ultimately it's a matter of a) lower bound on rates; b) shifting fundamental balance between supply and demand for protection. For example, at the moment there's lots of demand from relatively price-insensitive investors for various structures that force the dealers to buy high-strike payers (puts) on 10yrs. This makes the skew very steep.

There's all sorts of interesting stuff in various rates mkts at the moment that is related to people expressing a view on what the "right" shape is...

#12     Nov 20, 2009
  3. I completely disagree... I don't know much about stocks, but what you describe is most certainly not the case with bonds and ccies.

Firstly, a panic would imply a bid for safe assets, such as govt bonds (you can observe that relatively easily). That means bonds actually "panic" to the upside. Secondly, for FX, the direction of the panic would obviously depend on the particular pair. For example, AUD and MXN would move in opposite direction, given the quoting conventions. Finally, the shape of the skew in neither bonds nor FX has anything necessarily to do with covered call writing.

#13     Nov 20, 2009
  4. I "get" it. You're upset that jim c complimented my answer and not yours. :D

#14     Nov 20, 2009
  5. Yep, I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight, for sure, thinking of this cruel blow to my fragile ego... :)

You have yerself a nice w/e, nazz!

#15     Nov 20, 2009
  6. 1) Yes it was.
    2) The question now. Should I take a 3, 4, or 5-day weekend this week? :confused:

#16     Nov 22, 2009