Trading simulations

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dbphoenix, Nov 8, 2002.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Does anybody know of a software program that will simulate trading so that one is not limited to using demo programs that work only during market hours?

--Db

2. Whamo

Whamo

Ensign has a playback feature although I haven't used it yet.

Whamo

3. cyber trader has one but it isnt that good.

4. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

This feature will be included in the upcoming 7.2 release of eSignal. We will go into Beta this month and likely officially release 7.2 in Jan 03.

Here's a brief description of the replay feature for 7.2:

5. Replay / Training Mode -- We'll be combining a replay and training mode of the advanced charting in a single GUI to give the users the ability to capture tick data to a file for later playback. They'll be able to replay the data into a chart with the goal of seeing how their indicators and strategies played out. This will have a fast forward and reverse capability as well as the ability to step through the data a bar at a time.

For a complete list of enhancements for 7.2, please see the first post in this thread:

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67

Thanks,

5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I assume this involves buying a program and subscribing to a datafeed?

--Db

6. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Our software is included in the monthly subscription rate and new software updates are currently free to all subscribers.

For a demo and complete pricing, please visit here:

http://www.esignal.com/esignal/default.asp

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Actually, it doesn't, though I appreciate the response. I don't want to subscribe to anything. What I want is a software program that will generate ticks, or at least 1m bars, so that trading could be simulated outside of market hours or even offline. I don't know that a random tick generator would do much good in terms of forward-testing a system, but perhaps a random selection of days from perhaps a 60-day (3 months) bank which has been randomly selected from the previous year's actual data could be used. A 60-day bank of tick data shouldn't take up that much hard-drive space, whereas keeping a year's worth would probably be much too much.

I know that one can go back over old, saved charts and scroll through them bar by bar for much the same effect, but using fully-formed bars is a poor compromise. Plus one isn't forced to sit there waiting for the bar to form. He can instead scroll through the bars as fast as he likes, which in some ways defeats the purpose of the simulation.

--Db