Trading Serenity

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Speaking of excuses.

I told my psy, "that I found Jesus" and I won't be back.

He said "You might as well pray for a toaster".

To which I replied, "How did you know?"

He said "Clairvoyant fee, 5 dollars".

#21     Jul 11, 2009
  2. Did that happen to coincide with becoming profitable? And then, like taking a really good antidepressant, you didn't give a shit any more? What did it feel like, when you knew you had it made?

Permit me to witness. I always thought, "Man, when I get to where I can bitch slap the market, I am going to live large!" But when I found something with a significant positive expectation, I was horrified at its simplicity, and my hubristic dreams were replaced by a humble awareness of the system's fragility. So I just "chop wood, carry water," as the Zen parable says.

#22     Jul 11, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

You can count me in this group also:eek:

And I like your thinking Sir - re this thread

K.I.S.S

RN

#23     Jul 11, 2009
  4. Thank you RN. If enough of us post the virtues of simplicty and serenity, perhaps this prophecy I posted to Jack will come true:

"Jack, what kind of gut level reality-threatening shock are you going to experience when it finally sinks in that the ranks of successful traders are filled with persons of low character who win with pitifully simple methods, methods that don't use volume, that don't rely on arcane connections to issues other than what they trade, methods that have no abstruse theoretical underpinning, methods that are so unambiguous that you can nap between system calls, methods that don't require an entire community of dimwits to refine with no end in sight, methods that simply WORK? Can you even imagine the PAIN that realization will cause you? How stunned you will be that you have built up an incredible and incomprehensible model of trading that was all unnecessary? The humiliation and sense of cosmic betrayal you will feel when you thought you needed to be smart and good to make money? When that happens, and it is coming, and soon, and sooner than you expect, I will be here for you."

I repeat this post only because it will not survive moderation in its initial location.

I trust you will join me in supporting Jack in his time of need.

#24     Jul 11, 2009
  5. I like Glass, Einaudi, and Tallis.

I listen to Classic FM from London, England which may not be so much minimalist but rather populist, in that it treats classical music as both popular and commercial which has been its place for most of history.

I love to trade the open to Dawn Upshaw's Girl with the Orange Lips which I would consider minimalistic as I would her participation in Gorecki's Third Symphony which I like very much which are from my own collection.

As far as trading the same two stocks, selecting the right stocks may be the most difficult part, but once you have found the stocks that fit how you would like to trade them, then stock selection can be put aside.

Although I am willing to take either side of a trade on either stock. One, I look to predominantly short and the other I look to predominantly long.

For the most part, I am searching to find the intraday high or the intraday low or may be the interim high or low. I am looking to sell the high and buy the low.

As far as Springsteen, I am not much of a fan.

My taste in music is quite eclectic and I like Johnny Horton, Roy Rogers, Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Leonard Cohen.......

#25     Jul 11, 2009
  6. Redneck

Redneck

Truthfully Sir I am not sure….

I hold ill will toward no one…

But anybody who purposefully and repeatedly obfuscates the reality of trading.…..

I just don’t know…..

btw - I listen to Baroque music while trading..... Off hours my music taste is eclectic as well

RN

#26     Jul 11, 2009
  7. I think that you attribute to ET what is found most everywhere in cyberspace. The anonymity of cyberspace give the small in stature and intellect enough courage to step up and take a swing. Something they are not testicularly equipped to do when standing on terra firma.

Dr Johnson said that patriotism was the last refuge of a scoundrel while Ambrose Bierce begged to differ saying it was the first not the last.

In this post modern world, cyberspace is simply the refuge of the scoundrel.

And he rears his head in the only way he can with the ad hominem attack by name calling, flaming, or just plain old fashioned thread crapping.

#27     Jul 11, 2009
  8. Ticketwatcher, thanks for the reference to Classic FM. And for explaining your trading approach. Can't say much for your taste in music, though. But anyone who can listen to any part of Symphony of Sorrowful Songs through the open must have a truly cast iron brain. And a quite cogent anal-ysis of ET. ET needs a Devil's Dictionary! Cheers!

#28     Jul 11, 2009
  9. You are into it RN with the baroque during the day. I listen mostly to 16th and 17th century solo lute music. Serene music, both, for serene trading.

#29     Jul 11, 2009
  10. Suitable for framing.

#30     Jul 11, 2009