Trading Serenity

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Plus there is always the hope, no matter how vain or absurd, that you may fall in virtual love on ET. Some people get lucky, I hear.

#11     Jul 10, 2009
  2. euclid

euclid

Sounds familiar. I have an Excel spreadsheet that tells me what to do in a loud and rather stern female voice.

#12     Jul 10, 2009
  3. Bitch Market! My favorite dominatrix! I represent my system calls as stoplight helpers for the same reason. Loud colors and loud sounds to rouse a somnolent old man. None of this intuitive interpretive discretional crap! Do it now, slave! We are, after all, just fetishistic slaves to the market. For what else is a winning system but a ritualistic orgasm ("Do me like you did the last time!") that fits your personality like a comfortable old ballerina boot?

#13     Jul 10, 2009
  4. Welcome Back.

The pub didn't have the same feel with you on hiatus.

- Spydertrader

#14     Jul 10, 2009
  5. Even though my first post took the cheap comedic route, there are some good posts on this thread.

Philosophically, differential calculus taught me a lot.

It taught me to look at solving problems in terms of maximizing one variable while minimizing another.

In this case going back to the original poster, mininmizing the complexity of STRUCTURE while not necessarily maximizing profit but at least maintaining it.

When it comes to the structures that surrounds my trading, I have always tried to be a minimalist.

In fact I love minimalism in all things.

I trade only two or three stocks, I only chart three on a watch list of less than than 15. I spend less than ten minutes hand charting using Precise Pilot red and green pens on the simplest of charts put on my own forms created on a word processor.

I have NEVER cluttered my mind with reading a book on trading.
    I think candlestick charts look mighty pretty, but I have no clue I would use them in how I go about trading the market.

I always thought traders should have a TV turned to CNBC while they were trading even though I rarely turned on the sound save for Arthur Cashin and Rick Santelli. My computer was always turned to a SERENE classical station from London.

But since CNBC went political and it is kissing BARRY"s ASS 24/7 and I no longer watch. I have not missed Santelli's midwestern rants nor Cashin's wry euphemism of marinating ice cubes for knocking down the hard stuff.

I like to watch the Steve Bilko show. I NEVER turn on the sound but it is way more minimalistic than the Springer show.
    It has NOTHING to do with television, it is all talk. Nothing much ever happens, once in a while Steve throws a share.

I contemplate what a sage Newton Minnow was for calling television a vast wasteland. The Steve Bilko Show is his validation if ever there was one.

That is my SERENITY NOW, contemplating the relationship between Newton Minnow and Steve Bilko while somehow turning a profit on the same two stupid stocks day after day.

#15     Jul 10, 2009
  6. Todd, I only came back because Jack came back first. And thank you for the kind wishes, my surgeon fixed that troublesome hiatus while I was gone.

#16     Jul 10, 2009
  7. Yes, in my own experience I have found a deviated hiatus to be most troubling.

#17     Jul 10, 2009
  8. Thank you for posting, 'Twatcher. Do your minimalist tastes extend to Glass and Einaudi? Great trading music. I generally listen to XMRadio's classical channels, or to KUSC from LA, or my own collection, today was Thomas Tallis Appreciation day here. Also, since falling in love on ET I have found that my day goes so much smoother with a charming lady fellow trader to exchange ideas with. Sort of like being a part of the SCT foule if they were an all-girl cheerleading squad.

This being ET, and you not being familiar with me, once you post in one of my threads, you are doomed. Please start with a non-proprietary description of how you trade those same two dull stocks every day. Ever consider a walk on the wild side? Like futures? The sheer terror of that might induce you to be a trading monogamist like me.

If you don't already know it, I urge you to familiarize yourself with Springsteen's "57 Channels (and Nuthin' On)."

#18     Jul 10, 2009
  9. Johno

Johno

"In fact I love minimalism in all things."

Just curious, do you think this obsession began when you first noticed your donga?

Regards

Johno

#19     Jul 11, 2009
  10. Here we see the shared core poisonality of ET at work. Have 'Twatcher and 'Ohno brought with them to the Serenity Patch a long-running enmity that spans incontinents of fora and threads? Or do we rather have a clash of styles (wordy vice brief) that instantly eroused ho'stility? And why de-nigrate 'Twatcher's dong instead of his ding? We may never know, because as is the abnorm for ET they will swirl through our little island of irrationality like a light breeze wafts the distant stink of skunk through even the toniest of venues. I am not disturbed, because I am serene: the markets are closed! But, al-ass, ET is always open.

#20     Jul 11, 2009