Trading Rooms?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by gaussian, May 31, 2019.

1. cafeole

cafeole

Start one. Slack is not a bad platform. You can manage the invites and discourse. The amount of messages are limited for the free version, but you can upgrade from there if that becomes an issue.

#11     Jun 1, 2019
  2. qlai

qlai

Have you thought about finding a prop firm so that you might establish long term relationship for future opportunities? Some have private chat rooms that they may let you in without opening account with them. If they find your contribution useful, they may even give you an offer. I don't know, just throwing it out there as an alternative.

#12     Jun 1, 2019
  3. gaussian

gaussian

Do you have any suggestions for this kind of thing?

#13     Jun 1, 2019
  4. qlai

qlai

Not really. You need to find a match where they like what you can contribute and you like what you can learn from them. For example, SMB does equities but is branching out to futures and options. You can start a conversation with them and see where it takes you. I would not waste time on random chatrooms unless you just want to fool around. I would want to build relationships in the industry.

#14     Jun 1, 2019
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Stop trying to find one because its so easy to start your own free chat room on twitter, Google Hangouts, Skype and you can even pay a monthly subscription to some fancy group collaboration software.

You can make it audio, text, screen sharing, file sharing or any combination...whatever you can find out there.

Start with something like TweetDeck @ https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

Seriously, start your own and I'm sure you already have a list of traders to ask that you've been texting/messaging the past few years. Also, ET use to have a chat room in house here at the forum but got rid of it because it was too difficult to manage.

Some members eventually formed their own chat room with other ET members as a result on various different types of social media platforms (e.g. facebook, stocktwits, tweetdeck and many others).

If that doesn't tweet your deck and you do not want to manage one via starting your own...many charting programs and broker platforms have their own "chat rooms" (public & private) used by their retail and professional clients. Therefore, call your charting service and broker service and ask them if they have "chat rooms" for their clients.

Join some and it may lead to another chat room that they have that's more like minded with you and maybe more private (not on the radar for trolls & spammers).

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    #15     Jun 1, 2019
  6. gaussian

gaussian

The benefit of finding one is people are already vetted and I'm not adding yet another chat room to an already overflowing population of low quality chat rooms.

Here is an XKCD that succinctly summarizes this situation.

#16     Jun 1, 2019
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

My point is that the best situation is to create your own chat room or join a room that's already in existence.

If you create your own, you can use whatever vetting process you want to be with like minded traders as yourself. In contrast, if you join one already in existence, its already vetted as you say and you don't need to "manage" it.

That's why I recommend you create your own or join one that's already in existence in which people are already vetted.

Simply, you have to start from one of those situations...creating your own or join one already in existence.

You do realize you can do both ?

Join a few that's already vetted (reason why I recommended to start with your charting service & broker) and then network within the chat room to discover other chat rooms out there or you may decide to create your own that's more suitable for your needs or you may decide its just stupid and you can manage the boredom...sticking with just using traditional forums like ET that have no chat room.

Simple answers for something so easy to resolve.

Good luck.

wrbtrader

#17     Jun 1, 2019
  8. timdug

timdug

I run the Duggan Capital room on discord. We have a live daily feed starting on the euro open from GMT+0 8AM through to 10:00. Then from 1300 through to London close at 16:00.
    I cover front month futures on EurUsd, cable, GCE, Dax, Nasdaq, eurstxx, SP500, DOW, BUND, TNOTES, OIL and DXY. We have a live squad feed covering all tier 1 and 2 data events live FOMC, NFP, CPI, GDP, PMIs for US, Germany and UK.

It's a good bunch of fulltime pro traders from ireland, UK, US, Asia and Oz. Some former prop traders etc. We also have a library of good conversations about risk management, managing different types of trades etc. Not for a complete novice.

If it sounds interesting, I can set you up with a 1month free trial. Email tim@duggancapital.com

#18     Jan 24, 2022
  9. A while ago, I remember doing a search for derivative trader type discord groups.

Unfortunately it seemed just about every one of them was simply just someone trying to trade their own proprietary trading gimmicks, lol. The ones that weren't, had too many millennials all banking on bad advice from TikTok videos, so I gave up.

That said, here's an idea I will try for a few days to see if we can make something a go. I just hosted a server now, if no one seems interested then I'll finally quit for good, lol.

EliteTrader & Friends?
    https://discord.gg/H3YREYUr

The official, unofficial group.

#19     Jan 24, 2022