Trading Ranges, Support, and Resistance

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by SimpleMeLike, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

More than 80 percent of all probes above resistance or below support will fail. Waiting 1 or 2 bars on a breakout is not enough activity to act as filter and new support or resistance must be established prior to entry.

#21     Jan 29, 2018
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The second mouse gets the cheese.

#22     Jan 29, 2018
  3. aldrums

aldrums

Not sure if this is completely accurate, but it explains why buying support and selling resistance will usually work. The skill comes in taking profits and managing your exit if the trade goes against you.

#23     Jan 29, 2018
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Correct. However, the small number of breakouts/breakdowns that succeed if held and managed properly will more than make up for the opportunities lost by not "range" trading.

#24     Jan 29, 2018
  5. aldrums

aldrums

So you would rather go for a 20% percent chance of winning instead of 80%?

#25     Jan 29, 2018
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

One must realize as well that most people will be wrong is assigning proper weight to different support and resistance areas.

#26     Jan 29, 2018
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Yes. Because I will have less activity and less commissions. In addition I wil have less chance to make mistakes on trades because the activity will be less. I know from experience that properly managed trend trades yield greater profits even though the win rate is lower.

#27     Jan 29, 2018
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  8. aldrums

aldrums

Interesting. Well, I will go for the 80% win probability because I don't have a crystal ball telling me how long the trend will last.

#28     Jan 29, 2018
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  9. Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Great post Icranston. Thanks for the links too.

CM

#29     Jan 29, 2018
  10. lindq

lindq

Trading for a Living - Elder

#30     Jan 29, 2018
    SimpleMeLike likes this.