Trading psychology: is it being overdone?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Thunderdog, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Since I agree with you, why am I looking through the wrong end?

#21     Mar 24, 2004
  2. jem

jem

acary - You must get another diagnosis. Your posts on ET are a contra indicator to that diagnosis and your conclusion.

Secondly - you must look at people in the mind industry with a juandiced eye.

First off - there have been studies showing time heals as well as shrinks (psyhrinks?) So the whole concept of psycoanalysis must be questioned.

Two- some of the best books I have read on the subject said any heealing that is done is done because the subject feels loved by the Dr. and that consequently what you need is an an intellgent person with a capacity to love.

So I question the bona fides of everyone in the field until they prove they really know the subject.

Next the subject is unique. You (are?) a successful discretionary trader. You are not like most other succesful people in a corporate structure with yes men and teams.

an ndividual that migh actually be qualified to understand what successful discretionary trader is, would be a psychologist who worked with pro athletes from tennis or golf or some other very intense individual activity. .

Look at Johnny Miller and now perhaps David Duval. The tension and pressure just may not be something you want to deal with after you have achieved your goals but to blame the self mastery you have achieved and label it a result of post traumatic stress seems like way too simplistic.

Get a second opinion from a highly specialized guy/gal and if you are burnt out try exploring other fields art, sprituality, music etc.

I realize I do not know you situation but I have read you posts and just can not believe you have gotten top advice. (But I know I can be wrong)

#22     Mar 24, 2004
  3. Cheese

Cheese

Trading psychology: is it being overdone?

Yes.

The first thing you need for trading success is intent and determination - stronger than most.

After that you need to be a problem-solver. Here is a market: how do I scoop out regular profit? You might say that is ridiculously simplistic; fact is the correct starting point in your journey is important.

#23     Mar 24, 2004
  4. gemini_315

gemini_315 Guest

One more item to add to above is position size and money risked. The smaller the amount risked percentage wise of the trading account, the lower your stress level. Stress is directly proportional to amount risked.

#24     Mar 24, 2004
  5. Cheese

Cheese

"One more item to add to above is position size and money risked. The smaller the amount risked percentage wise of the trading account, the lower your stress level. Stress is directly proportional to amount risked." Gemini315

Relevant point too .. nice one.

#25     Mar 24, 2004
  6. Cheese

Cheese

I should add that if you have a reliable system you are caused little or no stress.

Cautious risk money management plus cautious and planned position size play also remove any other stress entering.

Stress especially at higher levels is proportional to the extent you don't know the market in which you are playing .. never a very happy condition!

#26     Mar 24, 2004
  7. Ah, I found it.

ob·vi·ates
    To anticipate and dispose of effectively; render unnecessary

#27     Mar 24, 2004
  8. Read the Mark Douglas book, Trading in the Zone. The only psychology that matters is Cognitive Psychology, the psychology of information processing and problem solving.

So many traders on the floor are successful even though they have many personality "issues." All that matters is that you think and make trading decisions probabilistically. That is the Zone that Douglas wrotes about.

Emotionally you can be a freak. But if you can make decisions probabilistically, then you can trade.

#28     Mar 24, 2004
  9. .

#29     Mar 24, 2004
  10. Anything can be overdone. I have a tendency of doing that, as you may know :).

Psychology is a cornerstone in trading. The only way we can get more "good" advice is to keep it (including the crap) flowing in.

#30     Mar 24, 2004