Trading Platform Going Down

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by newguy1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. newguy1

newguy1

For those of you trading equities at a prop firm, how often do you experience a frozen screen on your trading platform/some kind of malfunction while trading.

I know it happens to everyone, but when how much is too much?

I'm specifically talking about something going wrong when the tape is printing like crazy or at the end of the day.

A few times a year? Once a month?

What have you guys experienced/and or what is an unacceptable amount?

2. are you using IB? jk!

3. I think that would only happen on a crappy java based platform.

4. Ebo

Ebo

I went down once in 2 years.

I always have a back up broker and/or ability to call in an order if I need to hedge myself with Futures or ETF's.

5. newguy1

newguy1

so java based platforms are more prone to this sort of thing?

6. M Vega

M Vega

At our Swift office we have a lot of system problems. Most of the time when an error occurs we have 'lost connection'

7. when I used DATEK (now Ameritrade), I had freezes at least 6 times a day.

cost me a fortune.

8. Using X-Trader while trading futures.... once in about 2 yrs due to a clearing firm server malfunction. On my local machine, never..... knock on wood.

9. davinci

davinci

Your system shouldnt be going down as often as you are telling us, maybe once or twice a year. There are so many factors which are involved though, your PC, the Server, the network, if I were you I would have a word with the IT guys and find out exacltly what the problem is and if they dont resolve it leave and find another place where they do resolve these kind of issues.

10. artis74

artis74

If you are stuck trading on a shitty java based exchange with no tech redundancies then all the god damn time. IPE is going to succeed but it is an utter disasrter in terms of reliabilty.

#10     Aug 23, 2005