Trading Plan - AHG community project

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by hwkaiser, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Thank you Anek,
    When it comes to the market I approach each day with zero bias, when it comes to what you have shared with this community, I have a healthy bias. :)

#11     Dec 13, 2007
  2. I am in 100% agreement that trading is and should be treated as a business and the importance of all traders to be aware of this fact. You are correct that in actuality I am attempting to develop a comprehensive "Trading Business Plan". The topics that you mentioned are indeed an integral part and will be included in the final product... along with P&L, financial projections, "operating cost's, expectancy formulas etc...

Regarding copyrights, I do not believe I have the right to take credit for the information contained within as it is not my intellectual property but the contribution of others. I do intend to credit those who contributed in the final document, as I hope it becomes a joint effort.

Thank you for your comments, please continue with your suggestions.

hayman, I do not consider myself qualified to provide extensive detail on the mechanics of advanced trading strategies, perhaps as this thread evolves, those more qualified than I may be able to provide more information. Thank you for your offer of participation.

#12     Dec 13, 2007

3. Gm to you all.

This is some of the best advice freely given as yet.

Once you all start trading you will realise that if anything can go wrong then it will go wrong at the worst possible time.

regards
    f9

#13     Dec 13, 2007
  4. hwkaiser, I'll take issue with you re copyright

the document YOU are compiling Does require Your copyright as the author/editor
    which is quite correct particularly if you go to the trouble of citing other contributors
    the project could easily turn into a book besides which there are those who aren't as
    concerned as you about using other peoples' work without a second thought to who
    authored in this case the TP document

and:

"While we appreciate your interest in Elite Trader, we do not want and cannot accept
    any ideas or content you consider to be proprietary. Consequently, any material you
    submit to this site will be deemed a grant of a royalty free non-exclusive right and license
    to use, reproduce, modify, display, transmit, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative
    works from and distribute these materials throughout the universe in any medium and
    through any methods of distribution, transmission and display whether now known or
    hereafter devised. In addition, you warrant that all so-called "moral rights" have been
    waived." EliteTrader's 'Membership Rules and Guidelines' — how's that for a copyright

#14     Dec 13, 2007
  5. Wallace, No offense was intended by my response to your post.

My only intent was to state that the majority of the technical information contained within and soon to be included was not of my creation and that I do not desire to take credit for the work of others. The term "intellectual property" may have been inappropriate.

In the context as an "Author of a compilation of works", your suggestions are not ill advised and will be incorporated into future revisions, along with the appropriate credits given to all contributors in the appendix.

I thank you for your clarification and constructive criticism/advice, your input is very much appreciated and I look forward to your continued participation.

Hwkaiser

#15     Dec 14, 2007
  6. Attached is a First Draft of Business Plan outline. (Still in early developmental stage. Trade set-up form very rough)

Profit & Loss, expectancy, position size calculators etc... along with individual trade set-ups are excluded from this outline. To be included in future revisions.

The document is form locked. to unlock for editing:
    View/toolbars/forms.. click on "lock icon"

Comments, suggestions and critiques are welcomed.

Trade well and be well...

#16     Dec 17, 2007
  7. Now that the holidays are behind us, I will continue to work on the AHG Business/Trading Plan....

As this thread was intended to be a community effort I would greatly appreciate any comments, suggestions or assistance from all those interested in participating in creating a working document for the benefit of all.

Attached is a zip file containing the following:

1, Second draft of business trading plan
    2, manual trading log - excel
    3, Trading plan guide - Wilcox T2W - pdf
    4, Trading plan guide - ref: in plan, link from stealth
    5, AHG reference notes hk-002 (reference)

In addition, the above zip file (along with AHG ref charts) is located at the following file sharing site:
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/4772355/e2259420/sharing.html
    (Note: this is a free site, therefore there is a slight delay before the download button is visible wait for the link which starts with URL: htp://www.4shared.co....... ) (it appears in approximately 20-seconds)
    (Note: do not click on the ads which say download now)

This document is still a work in progress, green highlighted areas are those of primary priority, yellow secondary... the area which I would appreciate the most help is in developing the "Trade Set-up sheet".

I have included a checklist of items I believe are integral parts for trade set-ups... along with a sample trade set-up, however, it is still a rough form, requiring major editing...

Please note the business trading plan word doc is form locked (to allow selecting options in the trade set up sheet parameters list), and can be unlocked by "Toolbars/view/form/ checking on the "lock" icon" --- password left blank

Excel spreadsheets are sheet protected (to protect cell formulas) and can be unprotected (for editing) "Tools/protection/unprotect sheet"

In addition to comments and suggestions of the trading business plan, I would like to develop a universal journal format and appreciate any suggestions and ideas along this line as well...

A few members have sent me fine examples of their personal journals, annotated charts etc... and I invite those members to post their journals, etc... on this thread as well as any one else who would like to participate in this project...

Out of respect for individual's privacy, I will not post other peoples personal information, links, docs, etc... without their expressed permission or request. (unless previously posted or made public elsewhere)

Again, to all those interested, your participation is welcomed and greatly appreciated...

Trade well and be well... hwk

#17     Jan 11, 2008
    toon likes this.
  8. HW! Very nice trading plan! I appreciate the hard work and your sharing of this document.

I have some input but I 'm not sure if it would be part of a trading plan or a seperate piece as it gets into more detail regarding entries and exits.

I've written down nuggets of wisdom taken from Anek while reading the IRC chat logs. I plan to gather more information as we go and I will re-scan the ET AHG thread to add more so as to make this more complete.

As you have metionioned in your plan, "confluence" or "confirmation" is needed prior to entering a trade. This is what I currently have regarding...

Entries:
    -Achor and Entry Chart give the same signal
    -Achor Chart key Resistance/Support signals that there is enough risk/reward in a trade
    -a confrimed 3 bar reversal at or near a trend line in direction of the prevailing trend
    -a pattern on the enrty chart, anchor chart or, best case, both charts confirmed with the"magic" tick
    -confirming tape action

Exits:
    -Let the trade run to where you thought it would go when entered...unless there is reason change your mind (screen time is key to knowing this)
    -In a trend, sell partial or all in RELATION to prior pivots
    -In patterns designated points that are pre-determined by each specific pattern

I'm sure there is much to be added to this

Of course each of these could be broken down in more detail too, but I wanted to contribute something for now.

Thanks again!

#18     Jan 12, 2008
  9. Fish,
    Thank you for your comments and continued pariticipation. Excellent points regarding confluence and exit strategies.
    hwk

#19     Jan 13, 2008
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

how about this for a plan - don't have one just let the computer do all the work? i am speaking from experience, i did a plan over and over and over. i haven't read your plan but i can tell you i bet you don't have the state of intervention times popping up on your display do you? i can go on and on and on about things you would need to know. but then how will you ever keep track of it all? you can't - it's futile.

but remember this also i can't tell you the above cause you have to experience it for yourself. plus you will be glad that you fully understand that indeed it's useless and will be fully versed on the subject of failure so you can have the passion of absolute knowledge. keep digging it's a good exercise. everyone needs to know with the utmost conviction what works and what doesn't.

mb

#20     Jan 13, 2008