Trading Overnight with MES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by dcwriter2, May 29, 2021.

1. Overnight

Overnight

On the futures side, yeah! Even during overnight hours, his 2 MES contracts will fill with no problems.

#11     May 29, 2021
  2. 100 shares of SPY

#12     May 29, 2021
  3. fan27

fan27

Who is your broker? You can place a stop/limit overnight for SPY.

Also, I assume you are either claiming trader tax status and are aware of the wash sale rule with regard to trading SPY.

MES is much better suited for short term trading than SPY for tax reasons.

#13     May 30, 2021
    They and SunTrader like this.
  4. You mean that if I own SPY in a Schwab account and the SP plunges at 3 a.m. I can executive a trade at 3 P.M. with a stop order and get out of the position before it falls further? That's a new one on me. And I'm familiar with the wash sale rule on year end trading, but not as it specifically applies to SPY. Educate me.

#14     Jun 2, 2021
  5. Ironbeam

Ironbeam Sponsor

Depending on your stock broker. Many offer overnight trading on the more liquid ETFs like SPY. So yes, you would be able to execute a stop at 3am, however the 'before it falls further' would be up in the air as there might be some slippage between your stop and your fill price if its a thin and fast market at 3am.

#15     Jun 3, 2021
    shuraver and wrbtrader like this.
  6. Gee never heard of etfs trading outside of market or extended or premarital market hours anywhere. What brokers do this?

#16     Jun 7, 2021