Trading Overnight with MES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by dcwriter2, May 29, 2021.

1. I've been trading SPY over night, when it's above the 20D MA, with some success, but the inability to place a stop loss overnight keeps me up. I'm wondering if trading 2 MES for every 100 shares of SPY would alleviate this worry, and if so what are the caveats, as I've never traded a micro contract.

2. Overnight

Overnight

The only caveat is expiration date, and performance bond requirements. That's it. Get past that and you are golden.

Although 2 MES for every 100 shares of SPY? I think your ratios are off a bit. You sure you do not mean 1 ES for every 100 SPY shares?

Hell do I know about ETFs.

3. ???? 1 ES for every 100 shares of SPY? $200k versus roughly 40K, off the top of my head, no?

4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

yc47ib, johnnyrock and dcwriter2 like this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Yes, you are correct. I suppose 100 SPY shares would be best offset by 1 MES.

How the hell did people survive this nightmare before the micros were introduced 2 years ago, on May 5th, 2019.

6. Overnight

Overnight

7. Does MES have enough liquidity for you during those overnight hours? That might be something you want to verify.

dcwriter2 likes this.
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

They learned from mistakes of themselves AND others.

9. Overnight

Overnight

I can answer that with a resounding yes, if you are pushing small size like 2 contracts. Hell yeah the liquidity is there. Fills will be no problem. And I do it on forward months. Front months are no problemo.

10. @dcwriter2 mentioned 2 MES contracts as example. I wasn't sure what his actual trade size will be.

#10     May 29, 2021