Trading Other Minis?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BobbyMurcerFan, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Do any of you trade the other minis out there like the 10 or 30 yr bonds, metals, or ags? Do you like them? Thanks!

2. links

links Guest

I investigated the following, even placed a few trades in each, but wide spreads, low volume make them unsuitable for active systematic trading. For system trades I find their full size contracts much better trading vehicles, w/ reasonable margins.

The only exception is the e-mini Russell 2000. Its full size contract has the same issue as SP500, very high margin. Based on my research Russell 2000 index has the best trending tendencies out of any mkt that I have looked at. Just a small tip, if you run any studies on Russell, don't run it on the futures contract, but do it on the cash mkt and apply the signals to the futures e-mini.

E-Mini Euro FX s
    E-Mini J-Yen
    E-Mini Russell 2000
    E-Mini S&P Mid Cap 400
    E-Mini 30 Year US Treasury Bond
    E-Mini Gold
    E-Mini Silver
    E-MiNY Natural Gas
    E-MiNY Crude Oil

3. Thanks a lot, that's very nice information. Thanks again.

4. Hi Links,

Could you point me to a web site or other list of the symbols and margin requirements for these? For some reason my foggy brain is having trouble finding one....

Also, keeping in mind the liquidity issues you mentioned, would these work OK for swing trading over several days or weeks?

Thanks for help,

Paul

5. links

links Guest

Paul,

I just get the margins from my broker, unfortunately they are pwd protected in my case. You may be able to get them from various exchanges, I believe most are around $1000.

Other than Russell, mid cap 400, imo, most of these eminis are not suitable for even swing trading. Under normal conditions you could conceivably trade these using limit orders, but the problem lies in fast moving markets, you would get very poor fills when your stops are hit. However there are other alternatives, for example if you are interested in trading a small interest rate futures contract, I would just trade the 2-Yr TN etc.

I am not sure what your motivation is for focusing on eminis, if margin is an issue don't forget there are brokers like Greentee.

Best of luck trading.

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/quotes/futures_volume_report/0,2323,12+410+480,00.html

http://www.greentreetrading.com/index.php?p=main

E-Mini Russell 2000
    E-Mini S&P Mid Cap 400
    E-Mini 30 Year US Treasury Bond
    E-Mini Gold
    E-Mini Silver
    E-MiNY Natural Gas
    E-MiNY Crude Oil
    E-Mini Euro FX
    E-Mini J-Yen

6. Actually my motive was not to focus on E-mini's specifically but the list of vehicles you posted are about the ones I would like to look at for some swing trades - so are you saying the full-size contracts would be better for Oil, Gold, 30 Year, etc.?

Thanks,

Paul

7. def

def Sponsor

8. links

links Guest

Yes full size contracts; If you are swing trading using a trend following method, imo Russell, 10 YR TN, DAX and most currencies offer the best potential. Good luck

9. Thanks very much for your help Links!!!!!!!!

BTW, do you recommend any good web site for a list of futures symbols?

Thanks,

Paul

#10     Mar 12, 2003