Trading options in Portfolio Margin account

Discussion in 'Options' started by fk1028, Jun 21, 2011.

1. fk1028

fk1028

Very true, I have seen a margin jump of 4K to 89K when price jump from 0.10 to 0.15. Is there a way to predict this one? The supplied margin calculator can only calculates the change of stock/index value.

#11     Jun 24, 2011
  2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Yes. For a Reg-T margin account, use http://www.cboe.com/tradtool/mcalc/default.aspx

For a Customer Portfolio Margin account, the price does not come into account. The formula is different and you can use the OCC website for a base guideline. Your prime broker might ask for more margin. https://cpm.theocc.com/tims_online.htm.

#12     Jun 24, 2011
  3. fk1028

fk1028

Dolemite,

Looking at a 60 days out example - Aug1000P for 100 contracts the margin is 75K. Premium is $1.55 last trade. 1.55/11weeks = 1.55/11 = 0.15 per week. How do you assess the risk between a weekly and a longer expiration term option.

As I am typing, SPX dropped to 1279.64, margin just goes up to 78K.

Thanks,

Frank

#13     Jun 24, 2011
  4. fk1028

fk1028

I take the SPX down 50 points in the calculator and the Aug 1000P is now 150K. The commission is 10x less but the margin will be a killer also. My broker has a 10%/10%. I am looking for a better broker with a -8%/+6% and my target is SpeedTrader. Their commission rate is also very good. Can save 30%.

#14     Jun 24, 2011
  5. tomk96

tomk96

-8%/+6% is the occ requirement. i don't think you are going to have anybody offering you that in a retail account.

#15     Jun 25, 2011
  6. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

-8%/+6% is the OCC using the TIMS calculator for Portfolio Margin Haircut, not Reg-T. His clearance firm adds a premium to the SPX minimum haircut. They are "shocking" the portfolio +/- 10%.

http://www.optionsclearing.com/risk-management/cpm/

#16     Jun 25, 2011
  7. fk1028

fk1028

I have seen SpeedTrader and LightSpeed both offering the -8/+6. I'll confirm with them.

The other issue is that is it a good idea to split the $$ among different brokers to their insured cash limit (250K?). That way, I'll be in a 100% safe zone for long term. For short option trading, essentially the account is all cash. I can split the option contracts among them and should not be too much extra work. Just a thought.

#17     Jun 25, 2011
  8. daveyc

daveyc

I don't have portfolio margin but I heard that if you have a lot of contracts at a certain strike and there is suddenly a wide gap between the bid and ask not only does it mess up you p/l but your account could be restricted to closing positions only even if you know the bid/ask is completely wrong. Does anybody have experience with this as I am thinking of adding portfolio margin to my account?

I would add that if you have porfolio margin, don't go all in any position and use only about 40% of you buying power. Also, know what you are doing at all times. :D

#18     Jun 25, 2011
  9. fk1028

fk1028

One of the company told me that as soon as your equity is down to 20% then you have to 'pay up' the next day. I assume it is by closing the positions. Overall, the margin formula seem to be secret. ANyoe has some PM accountexperience that can share.

Frank

#19     Jun 25, 2011
  10. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

It's very simple. If you equity drops below $100K, your account reverts to a Reg-T Margin account unless you add money to bring it back over $100K. If , under Reg-T margin, you don't have enough equity for your position, you have to add money or liquidate your position down to Reg-T requirements.

Also, if you have over $100K in your PM account, but your haircut is over your equity, you must add money or reduce your positions to meet current margin requirements.

#20     Jun 25, 2011