Trading Options from Underlying Symbol Strategies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by a_tech_trade, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Hi, everyone,

This is my first post (sorry for no introduction yet), but I’ll try make this concise. I’m looking to deploy strategies which I’ve been developing and backtesting in ThinkorSwim, except I want to trade stock and ETF equity options instead of the underlying symbols directly. I.e., the underlying symbol strategy conditions fire the events for a handler function to trade its calls/puts. On what platforms would I be able to achieve this?

NinjaTrader is off the table for me as I have discovered, even though I’ve successfully converted my strategies to their platform, because I found out that “Options are not supported for NinjaScript use,” according to their documentation (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/?data_by_provider.htm).

So now I’m looking into MetaTrader 5, StockSharp (S#), and Python for solutions. But could anyone kindly share any tips or suggestions to help me, please? I’m looking for the simplest solution, as I’m not a programmer and still need to outsource for a programmer to write the function I need for an event handler to trade options.

My broker is TD Ameritrade, btw, but I don’t mind switching to Etrade if I need to (because, for example, StockSharp does not support a TDA connection but does support Etrade). From MT5 to S# to Python though, respectively, things start to look more and more complicated to me lol, so I’m hoping to find the simplest, most streamlined solution for the purpose I’ve outlined.

So I’d like to ask, what would you do if you were trying to do the same thing? Or do you already have an automated system set up to trade options off strategies from underlying symbols?

Thank you, and I would appreciate very much your input.

taowave likes this.
  2. Since you already have the algorithm, I would suggest that you use Python and build your own framework. It will suck initially, but eventually, you will be way more productive. That was my experience.

a_tech_trade, Handle123 and SteveH like this.
  3. lindq

lindq

Look at InvestorRT at www.linnsoft.com. Email them and explain your objectives.

a_tech_trade likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

I contacted linnsoft and they said:

"I am not aware of any traders performing automated options trades. That is not to say that it wouldn't work. It's just that the program has not been designed with that in mind. For example, Investor/RT does not offer historical implied vol's or other greeks and I am pretty sure that is going to be the main thing you need.

Regards,

Shawn W. Cooke"

So most likely you being doing as most others have done and as pointed out by
    nooby_mcnoob

a_tech_trade and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  5. N2M

N2M

Hello, are you still working on this, I'm doing the exact same thing and asked this exact question.. well not exact.. but I am trading options thru python based on the underlying etf..
    message me we can chat.

N2M