trading option pitchforks

Discussion in 'Options' started by atticus, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think in terms of % on individual trades as there is massive variability to % of portfolio. Say 5% on 5% is nothing. We didn't take it out prior to the election and I will be watching the prices of Spanish bonds. Think of the overwrite in terms of being long cable with a large swap into some UK turmoil.

THE trade is the 1345 calendar on Jun29/Jul06 on ES. Long that from 3.50. That's a double in a week. There is edge on vol and considerations related to the rollover (on option-tenor). I own it.

#31     Jun 19, 2012
  2. TskTsk

TskTsk

:D How do you come up with all these trades? For instance, how do you see a vol edge in this spesific trade over others like it? Why 1345 and not 1335 for instance.....I assume you're not exactly using a calculator to single out one trade out of hundreds of possible ones as having an edge..

#32     Jun 19, 2012
  3. I used to short vol heavy into Atlantic-snowstorms so this is an analogy. I don't really want to elaborate, but we'll see in a week.

#33     Jun 19, 2012
  4. short 3 ES? That is your general size? Just curious. From your options posts you come across as a larger size trader than this. 3 is pretty meaningless for someone who wants to make a living at this...

Just curious...no pun intended.

#34     Jun 19, 2012
  5. Hahaha, that 3x15 must look huge compared to your 10k unit FX "trades". I trade the naked stuff very small. I am often 500 to 1,000up on flies. Ask Hoi at buttontrader.com as he had to fix the code in his front-end to accomodate a 900-lot fly order that I attempted to fill on buttontrader.

#35     Jun 19, 2012
  6. ha, dont need to ask anyone atticus, you make assumptions (I never showed 10k positions in fx), but you show you trade 3 ES positions, lol. You must be the French of the French derivatives traders, getting all defensive justifying your 200,000 USD exposure. Don't get a heart attack old man, this trade may just blow your account out ;-)

#36     Jun 19, 2012
  7. Don't worry; I am sure you'll get to 10k units some day soon. If I felt the need to pose like you, I would've exaggerated the fill. I see no need to compensate like some.

Better to be French and proud than some 5'3" Napoleonic asian kid who despises his heritage.

(100% Scandinavian)

And why exactly are you on an option thread? You sweet on my junk again? So flattering, my kollege!

#37     Jun 19, 2012
  8. Size doesn’t matter - it’s how you use it that counts.

#38     Jun 20, 2012
  9. yada yada yada, watch your 3 futures dude!

#39     Jun 20, 2012
  10. as long as it scales with your account correct, fully agree.

In this case, Atticus seems to not have much in his account to show for despite his ridiculous post count and attitude to lecture everyone at ET regardless of whether its option (which I give to him), fx, equities, basically anything, he claims he is right and the world wrong. In this case his 3 ES futs are possibly correctly scaling with his small account, much smaller than he makes everyone believe.

Nobody who commands several million of investments (and thats how he tries to come across to everyone) trades 3 ES futures. Its like you have a Harvard degree and clean toilets. Nothing wrong with that basically but its just a huge waste of investment and talent. Another analogy, no hedge fund hires a PM/trader to generate 1 million USD annually. Nor does any hedge fund bring on a PM with a strategy that scales only to 5 million USD traded notional. I hope you get my point.

#40     Jun 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.