Trading only career that doesn't require people?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cashonly, Jul 7, 2002.

1. When things are going poorly in the trading arena, I collect redeemable recyclable cans. Don't need noone else in the dumpster with me.

#42     Jul 8, 2002
  2. I read the post by the programmer and partially agree. However since I have worked in various IT jobs besides programmer, and known many programmers personally, I can tell you that IT has become much more social and consequently much more filled with BS in the past few years. Lots of more "social" and less engineering minded people have entered the field. It is now much more likely that your boss knows absolutely nothing about programming or anything else and is much more likely to be an MBA type.

Then there are the layoffs. If you have 5 programmers and all 5 are reasonably competent but you only really need 3 of them, then guess who gets laid off ? At that point it is totally 100% political and beyond the control of those 5 programmers. Factor in union membership, affirmative action, experienced and expensive vs. young and cheap, and you can see that whether you stay or go has nothing to do with how well you did your job.

#43     Jul 8, 2002

3. LOL

i'll take chef boyardee over corporate SOB any day of the week....

#44     Jul 8, 2002
  4. trader99

trader99

Yep! That's my sentiments EXACTLY! It's a perfect meritocracy and independence.

Horray to Prop Trading!!!

trader99

#45     Jul 8, 2002
  5. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I think we have another winner:
    No one to work with.
    You know how much you're going to get for your effort.
    Law says they have to take your redeemables

If you want to bump up your efforts and ask establishments for their redeemables, that would involve people, but for the basic business, it works.

#46     Jul 8, 2002
  6. BillyG67

BillyG67

Yes but you still have to bring them to the recycling center where SOMEONE will weigh them and make sure you didnt sneak a plastic bottle in there and then hopefully that PERSON gives ya a wad of cash

#47     Jul 8, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Not necessarily. They have automated centers now. Just like you used to have to talk to a broker... now you don't

#48     Jul 8, 2002
  8. a lighthouse keeper

#49     Jul 8, 2002
  9. actually, it seems the OTB can be a profitable career. I read an article in wired magazine some time ago about some Hong Kong guys using computer analysis to improe their odds. They would do things like create a database of info about the horses and their percentage of wins/loses, etc. They would watch videos of the races and see how the horses handle turns, whether they did better in the begining of the race or the end, etc. All of these factors would then be factored into the final bets. If I remember right these guys were claiming to have an average annual ROI of 24%. When you consider that they had a bankroll of tens of millions of dollars (so they claimed), 24% isn't bad...

#50     Jul 8, 2002