Trading Networking - I live in LA, do I have to move to New York?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Newmoney24, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

First Quadrant is NOT a prop firm. Gelber IS. I assumed the OP was looking for a prop firm.

#21     Apr 6, 2013
  2. misaki

misaki

1) I still don't know what Gelber is, but my guess is that it's very far from my idea of a "quant shop".
    2) I didn't see any mention of prop firms in his posts. Since you've clarified that you've made a false assumption, let's agree that there are such firms in the LA region and move on.

#22     Apr 6, 2013
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, their aren't. That is my point. I'm willing to be wrong which is why I asked the OP to list them. Gelber is a prop futures trading firm. It's not a "quant" shop. That does not mean they don't engage in algorithmic trading, it just means they don't fall under the category of quant shop.

I have no doubt there are hedge funds out there. Although most of the big ones are the Bay area. My statement was simply that I was not aware of any prop trading firms in LA. There are some firms that have a small LA office. For example, T3, a bucket shop, is out there. Coastal, is out there. I believe M&N has a small office there. But there are no LA firms specifically. Again, if I'm wrong, that's cool. I simply ask the OP to actually list those firms when he rattled off there were "many".

#23     Apr 6, 2013
  4. misaki

misaki

You asked for a "quant shop" and I named one:

Then you turn around saying "Gelber IS" (presumably a "quant prop shop" now):

And now you're shifting the definition (by dropping "quant" out of the phrase) far out of the left field:

I can't keep up with your posts if the definitions have to be frequently updated, but I've left my advice for the OP and pointed out that the claims about latency being behind the geolocation are myths, and I appreciate that you've taken the time to describe what Gelber is. Let's leave it at that.

Have a good weekend.

#24     Apr 6, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

I was under the impression that First Quadrant is a quant shop since I know a very technically very strong person who has a Quant finance PhD who works there. That guy joined that firm leaving Goldman quant position. So I got the impression that it must be a quant shop.

However, I checked their website yesterday before I posting on this thread, and it seems from their website they are more of a boutique semi-traditional investment management fund, who might be using quant methods but do not seem "quant-centred", if you know what I mean. So they are not like some of the firms you mentioned viz. SIG, Wolverine etc.

Are you sure that bulk of their work is automated/systematic trading?

#25     Apr 7, 2013
  6. thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate the feedback,

as one caveat- I am not a programmer, I do however love automated trading- the role I would hope to fill is direct programmers to try programming different things-

am i screwed if I don't know programming? if not where do I have the best chance of finding a role in this?

and finally- what's the best way to approach companies with this desire? I'm extremely competitive and hard working-- I am most interested in working in a team environment though because as I've learned in life- there's a lot of value in
    building relationships and I'm not getting any younger

#26     Apr 7, 2013
  7. misaki

misaki

Yes.

...This is like a person who doesn't know how to sew trying to become the next Balmain or Saint Laurent. There are just as many talented, experienced and eager fashion designers out there who want the same prize. Taking into account your willingness to learn, you should consider spending several years in a related role while you get better at programming (e.g. in grad school, as a runner/discretionary trader at a trading desk).

#27     Apr 7, 2013
  8. Nab

Nab

You are screwed ...

#28     Apr 7, 2013