Trading needs the same "revolution" that martial arts went through 15 years ago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IronFist, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mmmmm must admit JH does indeed look impressive against his students

(sorry.... couldn't resist)

#41     Sep 26, 2008
  2. Great post Iron Fist.

This is true across the board and in all realms of human endeavor.

The "WHY" part of it is the hard part ... I think many people allow their EGO to rule their better judgement, and insist on going their own way even when it has been proven to be wrong-minded.

... or maybe it's just a way for them to make a buck or feel like they are accomplishing something in the world, who knows? :confused:

And yes, there are more than a few posters here on ET that fit the category of the "Kung Fu Master who can't trade [fight] his way out of a Paper Bag".

#42     Sep 26, 2008
  3. I can easily tell you do not know how to trade. If you did then you would have left your last paragraph out of the thread. You said fake gurus tell inexperienced traders fortune cookies without concrete example's. I do not know what you mean by fortune cookies but if a successful trader was to give concrete examples of his strategies and methods what do you think would happen to his methods? It would catch on like wild fire and soon the method wouldn't work anymore leaving the once successful trader without a profitable system unless he has multiple methods. What i am saying is that trading is intellectual property. People are not willing to teach something if the end result of that teaching means losing the knowledge of what they taught and also the profits that came from that knowledge.

You don't know of any successful trader who give's concrete examples and methods so therefore your entire analogy and list of statements is no more than a complaint about not getting what you want at this website. Instead of spending your time thinking of descriptive ways of describing what you do not have why don't you spend your time actually studying the market.

#43     Sep 26, 2008
  4. wow iron fist that is long. Yup I totally agree with you there are some people who think they are gurus, but are just show boaters. But I think some of the problem like many schools whether its martial arts or other wise is that people expect everybody to champions. every school should expect a variety of students. i consider trading/investing a job. I dont care I wont be the best trader in the world, making a million day, I care about making 500-1000 a day. There are better traders like in martial arts better fighters, way better. But thats life.

#44     Sep 26, 2008
  5. Worthwhile post. I give it 4 out of 5 throwing stars. Considering the massive amount of garbage here, a longer but interesting post isn't so bad. Fuck's sake.

#45     Sep 26, 2008
  6. I sometimes wonder if the really gifted masters of some of the other styles really get involved in mixed combat.

I had a 5th degree Taekwondo black belt instructor who was also a tenant of mine. I studied 3 years under him, but only 2-3x a week. I stopped at high red.

His speed and power was unbelievable.

#46     Sep 26, 2008
  7. Aikido is mostly garbage. Will get you killed in a real fight. Its the king of, stick your hand out and wait for 10 minutes until your sparring partner does something cool.

Agree with the original post.
    But the analogy falls apart when it comes to sharing info. Sharing a trading edge WILL kill that edge, that is a fact. A black belt teaching his knowledge does not cause his skills to fade (Edge will fade as people front run you)

As for aikido... hahahaha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_tnefyOcc

#47     Sep 26, 2008
  8. Im a BJJ brown belt and the original poster nails it.
    MMA filtered down the list of what really works and it looks like this:

BJJ
    Muay Thai
    Wrestling
    Boxing
    Full contact kick boxing - the real stuff like K1
    Some Judo - less effective without the Kimono in the ring
    Sambo

Here is a list of BJJ versus videos
    http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/wiki/Jiu_Jitsu_Versus_Videos

You will see an occasional technique used from some other styles once in a blue moon, but they are the exception.

The moment you hear a master from a style claim he doesnt fight in MMA because X, Y, Z, you know he is full of shit. His style is "too deadly". MMA has "too many rules" If they would allow my deadly throat strikes and eye gouges, I would dominate in MMA. They are full of crap and scared. If a few dirty techniques makes the entire difference in your style of fighting, then your style sucks. Anyone in any style can use these techniques and since they cant really be practiced on live opponents, they so called masters of dirty techniques are no better at them than anyone else.

If you can train only one style though, BJJ is proven to beat all the others most of the time. Pure strikers lose against grapplers 99% of the time.

I was a black belt in 3 arts before I started BJJ and all the BJJ white belts kicked my ass. It was a rude awakening to say the least.

#48     Sep 26, 2008
  9. This is how we really learn.

We get our ass kicked ... sometimes more than once if we have to really learn the lesson.

It's true in combat, and it's true in trading also.

I don't know why the guys who don't get it, don't get it.

P.S. ... and none of this shit is any good with killer instinct (at least that's my experience).

#49     Sep 26, 2008
  10. I do recall walking out of my first black belt in karate, in junior high school, thinking I was the shit. Don't mess with me, man. I was a bully for my first year of puberty. I had the body and a black belt and thought Karate Kid ruled.

Then I met a taller kid, my age, who was being teased for being taller than everyone else. He took it in stride, tried to just walk away from trouble, including girls pushing him because he seemed like such a punching bag. I thought I would uphold my image at school and joined in. I did more than push him. I cornered him (first mistake) and slapped him. His face went straight and he warned me to not do that ever again. I laughed, and did it again.

30 seconds later, I woke up on the ground. He was gone. My sides hurt and my breath was gone. He had seized me into a full nelson with shark bites and something else I don't remember. He brought back a teacher to help. He asked how I felt. Different, I said. Different, indeed. The following week, he and I were friends and he introduced me to BJJ that his dad taught him from an early age.

I later learned some combat jiu jitsu from a retired Special Forces guy. Not enough for proficiency, but enough to keep my curiosity. I remember very little of karate.

#50     Sep 26, 2008