Trading needs the same "revolution" that martial arts went through 15 years ago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IronFist, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

It’s American style vs. Asian style writing.

#31     Sep 26, 2008
  2. I'm not much of a martial artist really but the little I do know was learned from Mercenaries..... it's nice and simple and direct, formless, stuff mixed with some Tai Chi... I'm very happy with it. The funny thing this thread made me realize is that my trading style has evolved to be nice and simple and direct, maybe there is a universal template for good things.. my photographic art has gone the same route too, nice, simple, direct pictures that tell either a story to me [preserve a memory] or tell a universal story that anybody can relate to....

#32     Sep 26, 2008
  3. #33     Sep 26, 2008
  4. What I meant was a 2 month MMA guy (muay thai and BJJ) could beat a 10 year Karate/TKD/kung fu/etc. guy.

#34     Sep 26, 2008
  5. I'll try to post some more vids later.

My whole point for this thread was people should stop listening to people who don't have a proven track record of knowing what they're talking about. Or at least stop putting faith in what they say. If they're unable/unwilling to clarify for you, they're probably full of shit, and if not, then they're just not willing to share with you, so move on.

You deserve better. If someone gives you a bullshit fortune cookie answer, call them on it. Don't sit there pondering the deep meaning of what the master is talking about for the next 2 weeks while you continue to make bad trades.

The same thing applies to dealing with salesmen. I often say to salesmen, after a long pitch, "but you didn't answer my question." And then I usually leave about 5 seconds later if the next words out of their mouths are not "the answer to your question is...".

To those of you who say it was long winded, it had to be to explain the subtle nuances of what I was talking about to people not familiar with the martial arts world. If everyone on here was a martial artist I could have said everything in one paragraph.

This post is to the point and direct. It is one of the best posts you will read on ET all year. You should bookmark it.

#35     Sep 26, 2008
  6. Absolutely agree.

I hate schools with the roided guys with huge egos. I've trained with roided guys who were humble, tho. They were cool.

#36     Sep 26, 2008
  7. oh wise one,

yes that's true

you're not the first one to ever say that, not even close

you just had the longest winded rehash of it

odd that express impatience with long winded salesman :confused:

#37     Sep 26, 2008
  8. I miss the competition of the training, but at 42 I don't think my joints would react as favorably to the multiple throws twice a week, mat or no mat. I practice once a month at 50%, with a BJJ friend, and that is enough... even at 50% we bloody noses and give cause to curse out loud. I stay hard and proficient with what I was taught, so I am happy with my state.

#38     Sep 26, 2008
  9. This is a great post!! Your analogy is spot on. I too follow mma (since UFC 1)
    was interesting seeing all the long held beliefs of eastern style arts ... i.e....kung fu, karate, etc all fall completely apart to brazilian jiu jitsu... (which it in turn fell apart to modern mma)

Gurus are indeed like you discribed! Always adapting a new angle with jibberish speak to hook noobs.

#39     Sep 26, 2008
  10. My long windedness is full of facts and objective truth.

Salesmen long windedness is full of BS and garbage.

I directly answer questions (or I say "I don't know").

Salesmen give you doublespeak and circular reasoning.

:D

#40     Sep 26, 2008