trading movies

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by snapper, Jul 15, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

Actually, it was the "worst thing I had to do".
    I played all over. A lot at the Horseshoe, a real lot in North L.V. at the Silver Nugget (yeah,I know, you don't have to say it!), and a good deal at the Circus Circus. I played mostly small stakes, and would occasionally go for a Sunday Afternoon hit at the Mirage in a 10-20 which was big for me.
    You are exactly right about the magazines and books. Earlier tonight I said in some other thread that the book that changed my life was "Education of a Poker Player" by Herbert Yardley.

#51     Jul 16, 2002
    #52     Jul 16, 2002
  3. rs7

rs7

#53     Jul 16, 2002
  4. davealex

davealex

The best trading movie ever (and I have seen almost every one mentioned in this thread...) is "A Corner in Gold."

It's a film directed by Jordan Melamed, who left the trading pits to attend the American Film Institute. His thesis film at the AFI, "A Corner in Gold", is the story of a young trader determined to become a legend in the commodity pits.

This movie won numerous awards including a Student Emmy for Drama from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and played at film festivals worldwide including the emerging Filmmakers Showcase at the Cannes Film Festival.

If you are a trader, you need to see this film. There is no other trading film like it. Non-traders who see it sort of "get" it; traders who see it "feel" it.

It's on TRIO (DirectTV channel) quite a lot, but I think you can view it online streaming here:

http://www.filmson.com/CDA/Summary/StandardSummary/1,1352,1281~0,00.html

-- Dave

#54     Jul 16, 2002
  5. nylord1

nylord1

Anyone know where I can find this? also looking for open outcry......blockbuster doesn't carry.....im looking to kick back and watch some flicks this weekend

thanks

#55     Jul 16, 2002
  6. Rounders was a great movie. My favorite 'stock trading parallel' scene was when the older guy in the robe at the gym said to Matt Damon. "I don't play cards for excitement. I play because I have to put food on the table and pay the bills."

#56     Jul 17, 2002
  7. http://www.pbs.org/itvs/openoutcry/film.html

#57     Jul 17, 2002
  8. Tony01

Tony01

#58     Jul 17, 2002
  9. Check out the movie now showing on TNT " Door to Door" about a trader er; salesman who has cerebral palsy and thru persistence gets a job although he's considered unemployable and becomes the top salesman for his company in the country.

I almost sound like murray t turtle ( not an alias). :D

Anyway heres some links
    http://www.tnt.tv/Title/View4/0,5878,341694|3133|3195~,00.html

Please buy your soap from him.
    http://www.billporter.com

#59     Jul 17, 2002
  10. rs7

rs7

Ok, not a movie, and not truly about trading; but maybe somewhat relevant to this thread. Here is my "off the wall pick":

The Taxi episode where they all get fired and Louie (de Vito) becomes a stock broker. Really funny, and yeah, he made some trades. The episode far preceeded "Wall Street" and "Boiler Room". It rung true to me seeing it in reruns years later. Reminded me more of the Merrill Lynch brokers I worked with than I care to admit. No less than the First Jersey and Blinder Robinson boiler room types. Sort of a mini morality play about the industry at that time (or the time that shortly followed..early 80s or late 70s if my memory serves, though I don't know if much has changed....certainly not according to the Schwab "Lipstick on this pig" ads). But the aggressive personalities like Devito's character were rewarded in real life rather than fired for lack of class as in that episode. Maybe that episode was actually ahead of it's time. Certainly before I was personally aware of what was going on in those places where people had brokers, and called them to get quotes. Ancient times!!! Possibly even before commisions were de-regulated.

#60     Jul 18, 2002