trading movies

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by snapper, Jul 15, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

OK, will do!

#41     Jul 15, 2002
  2. I always enjoy watching "Other people's Money", with Danny DeVito.

It's a great movie.

#42     Jul 15, 2002
  3. rs7

rs7

Can't remember much about it except for the "wrong number" line:)

#43     Jul 15, 2002
  4. rs7

rs7

I think that the lack of response to this, given the incredible amount of responses and PM's I have received about almost everything I have said on ET, is the most interesting event for me yet!!!

#44     Jul 15, 2002
  5. PubliasEnigma

PubliasEnigma Guest

#45     Jul 15, 2002
  6. For a TV movie on a sat or sun afternoon that sure was a great !!!

I love the part where they fly the dog (Mr.Shepperd) back home in the private corp jet because the dog appears to be sick.:D

Almost makes you want to be a CEO, well ok, not quite in this "chop off all their heads" market

#46     Jul 16, 2002
  7. ken0012

ken0012

Trading Places with Eddie Murphy

#47     Jul 16, 2002
  8. RS7 IS on the money!!

I too play poker and find the elements that go into a winning trade are the same as a winning hand.

Example - If you playing Texas holdem and your dealt a pocket pair of Kinds you will bet big before the flop ( a strong setup that you take the trade).

Next thing a few people stay in ( the price moves back and forth a little right around the price you opened your posisiton with)

Flop comes down and an ACE shows up ( the price starts to move against you but not real fast). This is where a good player ( Trader) gets the HELL out. A good player ( Trader) understands that the setup ( cards) may have been good BUT your holding a losing hand.

The sucker HOPES to get another King ( price comes back). As it was said in Rounders "Rule #1, drop a hand as soon as you know you cant win"

I play good poker and Trade well when I am in the same mindset about risk and odds management. I also lose the most when I let that edge go away and start "hoping" for a lower loss.

#48     Jul 16, 2002
  9. rs7

rs7

(Thanks)
    And excellent post, with excellent analogies!!!
    But what I meant was about "when I had to"..Found it interesting that no one inquired about why I "had to"

#49     Jul 16, 2002
  10. Yeah Ok, I'll bite!!

Why did you have to play poker ( doesnt sound like the worst thing to "have to do") and just to make this thread a little more interesting, "Did you win enough to "bankroll" your trading again??"

Also what limits did you play and did you play at the Mirage or downtown?
    :D

Lastly, FWIW. I read Poker Digest, Card Player, Active Trader, Stocks and Comm and IMHO you could EASILY interchange "Hand" for "Trade", "No Action" or "Low Volume", "Bluff" for "Head fake", "Rake" for "Commission" etc. etc......:D

#50     Jul 16, 2002