-Trading mistakes-

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kastro_316, May 7, 2006.

1. DaveWeis

DaveWeis

1. Not following my own rules
    A. Being greedy
    a. holding on too long (winners and losers)

#21     May 7, 2006
  2. what were some of the better threads/posts you read?

#22     May 8, 2006
  3. #23     May 8, 2006
  4. #24     May 8, 2006
  5. Well, to keep ON TOPIC....

Ripley, who I've followed as a trader as well. Ripley has been through some incredibly tough times. He is another unique case that I have studied here on ET. *Note that isn't a dig Ripley :)*

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49314&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

That's just one of the great threads, Ripley was nice enough to post PDF's as well.

I followed Red_Ink_inc blotter from the first post to his one he has now. Definately shows me consistency. I almost trade exactly like him in very many ways, except he uses a lot more shares than me and trades less volatile stocks than I do. I try and measure my performance with by averaging down his performance to 100 - 300 shares.

#25     May 8, 2006
  6. - averaging down;
    - revenge trading;
    - keeping a position while "hoping" that things will turn around somehow;
    - rushing in a trade with the fear of missing out on an opportunity.

#27     May 12, 2006
  7. being too scared...

holding on too long to a loser...getting better though...

doing too many things at once...

getting sucked in on news...

#28     May 12, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

1. Not defining risk BEFORE entering a trade.

2. Not honoring stops.

3. Not taking profits.

#29     May 12, 2006
  9. My #1 mistake:

Getting too fancy for my own good!

It's soooo easy to get overextended which will inevitably cause confusion and mistakes. Take a more zen approach now. Stripped down indicators and analysis. Concentration in only 1 or 2 positions for time period. Do I miss some action, absolutely.

Specialization has helped me DRAMATICALLY!

Read somewhere about Steve Cohen where he said he hires his traders to trade their specialty in a concentrated area and has many traders. Stick with what you know and concentrate on it. To quote Warren Buffet a little, "Put all your eggs in one basket, but pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to that basket."

#30     May 12, 2006