Trading Mistakes

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Nov 17, 2008.

1. That is all dumb stuff for newbies or papertraders.

I've simply clicked a trade on the price ladder unintentionally when my hand is on the mouse all the time. Either its what I was going to do or if its the wrong way round I just close with care and carry on to my next trade. I may even take out a wrong trade without loss because price may be moving rapidly about for a very short time over the same price levels.:cool:

#11     Nov 17, 2008
  2. 18) The extra zero; buying 10000 instread of 1000 and the like.
    19) The double stop. Doubling on the stop instead of closing the position!

#13     Nov 17, 2008
  3. 20) Being assigned on a naked short call or put and not knowing it!

#14     Nov 17, 2008
  4. sc85

sc85

21) Too greedy.
    22) Too scared.

#15     Nov 17, 2008
  5. 23) watching fast money
    24) watching mad money

#16     Nov 17, 2008
  6. Boib

Boib

Not following your trading plan.

#17     Nov 17, 2008
  7. Trading mistakes: you do not know what you do not know, and what you do not know may hurt you.

Example: The nature of Probs, and Its Repercussions on Gains, Losses, What To Trade, and How Often you should take gains!

1.a) The probs that the gain/loss is greater than a value X at T bars in the future are ONLY half the probs that the gain/loss will be X sometime durind the next T bars.

1.b) A consequence of 1.a) is: for the typical average trader, he will be stopped twice as much as he gets a gain of value equal to the loss. He win rate is then on average equal to 33% if his wins are equal or greater than his loss.

His only hope to win is to bank MORE than twice as much as his losses. You now have a mathematical proof of why your win to loss ratio needs to be greater than 2, assuming an average timing. If your timing is worse, you should understand that your only hope is a gain/loss ratio far far geater (and you should not trade indices).

Ponder this more than once my friend!

1.c) Paradoxically, 1-a) is even the reason why we trade, as we know that time cuts the probs in half, and therefore we should take our position off as soon as potential gains cannot outweigh the loss in probs during to passage of time. You should remember that time cuts your probs in half.

1.d) If you trade short term you should trade indices , because the probs fade faster than the gains progress.

1.e) And if you hold for longer, you should own individual stocks because the moves outweigh the probs.

I want you to deeply reflect on the probs point started here. It is a central point to trading (what to trade, how to trades, how long to keep a position, and what to search for to achieve success).

The above is an example of gems RFT shares or intend to discuss with his readers particularly his blog readers.

Cheers (do not forget to take the assignement question below).

It is all in your head, or in the head of another guy you should seek help from.

RFT

PS: Timing Question:

For an intended period T, what is the most likely time that you should take your profits, or the average time that your stops are taken (the answer is the same for gains and losses)?

PS 2: I know there are many typos. If someone can edit this post, and PM it to me or repost it, I would appreciate it. I lack time to devote to this, so thanks for lending your time.

#18     Nov 17, 2008
  8. Not having enough money to learn from all the above mistakes.

#19     Nov 18, 2008
  9. asap

asap

69. Having sex while executing your strategy automated. And then come back and say, "F**k, I've ruined it".

99. Jerking off desperately while trading the DOM with the other hand.

#20     Nov 18, 2008