Trading Machine - ingredients

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Nov 24, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

I believe I have an app that runs partly on Linux... Acronis True Image.

But as everything I have works virtually flawlessly in Windows right now.... and I know my primary trading stuff does not work in Linux... I'd be going through a lot of hassle for nothing to try to convert. Other than *possibly* saving the cost* of Microsoft products, I see no real benefit.

* The primary expense of Microsoft products are in Windows and Office... they are *very* cheap if you play your cards right... hardly worth the effort to try to avoid the cost.

#41     Jan 8, 2007
  2. That's understandable.
    If you (or anyone else for that matter) ever care to give it a try, let me know if I can help with some pointers.
    You can easily have both on your box.

#42     Jan 8, 2007
  3. #43     Jan 8, 2007
  4. ken__0

ken__0

Yeah im not crazy enough to try the oil yet?
    Did you set the rocket off and it took in immediate uturn I hate,
    when that happens.

#44     Jan 8, 2007
  5. tef8

tef8

I have an Ubuntu box, used soft raid - that's fast (was faster than hardware raid on my xp box) had other nix boxes in the past....never tried trading on them though. What trading/charting software are you using other than possibly TWS?
    I am considering leaving microsoft altogther rather than adopting vista. Would be good to here from traders using Linux as to what works.
    Thanks

#45     Jan 10, 2007
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

Well, lets first say this is "HARDWARE" thread not software. With that said lets all realize MOST trading software, if not all apps are WINDOWS BASED, as some other poster stated.

Hobbies like gaming pc's, Linux etc are not to be confused with windows. Bottom line,...... like windows or not..........Get used to it, VISTA is the OS that all new software etc will be written for. case closed.

PS, Will be set up monday for TS charts, i hardly think tradestation is worried about linux etc. The CES show in Vegas is a perfect example why ALL up to date users of windows will switch to Vista, the 3rd party guys all will be implementing vista in their newhardware stuff. HEY, windows are robber barons.............but if that is what the industry uses, then you buckle up and fly with them. ... :mad:

#46     Jan 11, 2007

7. Never tried Linux. Life is complex as it is, no need to introduce more headache to it.
    As for Apple.... where do I start?????????????
    Then again, I do not know what is worse, hating Apple or having a guy working with me (his desk is actually behind mine and we have a LOT of free time - gov. job) who describes himself as Appleevangelista.... I swear I am not making this up. He is more devoted to Apple then Mother Teresa was to helping poor. I think if my house ever "accidentally" burns down, he would be on my short list of prime suspects. Other than that .... he is a sweet guy. Like I stated before you could not tell he is crazy. Then again, one of the ladies who works on the same floor thinks the TV is spying on her. Needless to say both her and the teleevangelista fellow are friends. Yea and you wonder why I need to learn trading right? You CANNOT make this stuff up.:D :D :D

#47     Jan 13, 2007
  8. xiaohu

xiaohu

So is there a charting program on linux that can plot feeds from IB ?

Something with the capabilities of Quotetracker would suffice.

thanks

#48     Jan 13, 2007
  9. Today, I played with my friends 30" LCD Monitor from Dell. This thing id enormous and..... may be a little bit too much. I guess I will give the 24 and 22" monitors a second look.

#49     Jan 15, 2007
  10. gpstrade

gpstrade

what kid of system will handle 500 charts on 2 day, 6 minute intervals

#50     Jan 28, 2007