Trading Machine - ingredients

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Nov 24, 2006.

1. I personally like the idea of having dedicated PCs for various tasks. I currently have 1 PC for internet, light gaming, dvd burning and other stuff. It is basically a PC where everything goes and if there is a questionable program that needs to be installed, this is where it goes.
    My PC #2 is a laptop. Acer with 17" screen that is mostly used for work and sim trading. Nothing gets installed on this machine without first being tested on PC #1. This way it stays virus and spy ware free and does not get cluttered with junk off the net.
    My PC #3 is my wife's Apple notebook. Since I do not want to be vulgar I will leave my comments alone regarding this particular machine and Apple products ingeneral. Suffice to say it is my wife's machine and I stay away from it. That allows me to keep my cool and prevents me from committing any kind of barbaric acts of vandalism. Did I mention that I absolutely hate Apple??? :mad: :D

#31     Dec 10, 2006

2. Sounds like a nice system. I am in a process of putting a new rig myself. So far, I am set on the chip being Intel Core 2 Duo and the monitor being the 30" Dell LCD monster. Of course because of this particular screen I will need a special video card which spells extra $$$$. Other than that I am still open to suggestions.
    I will use this machine primarily for trading and video editing (hobby).

Happy trading!

#32     Dec 10, 2006
  3. ken__0

ken__0

4. #34     Dec 10, 2006
  5. ken__0

ken__0

iv got a another mthrboard and some components im allready thinkin about what brand of oil to use.

#35     Dec 11, 2006
  6. agovila

agovila

you look like the guy i would like to discuss things with..a bland new bie not even into making systems lest running trading stations is impressed with you diy attitude and needs help here..
    if i purchase all the stuff you did and try making it with a friend what are the chances you thin kill mess it up..

honest anwers appreciated..thanks

#36     Jan 8, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

Atta boy... an Apple hater! You don't by chance also hate Linux, do you? (If so, ping me... we'll get together for some beers... I'll be buying.)

BTW... I'm not too fond of HP Notebooks, either.

#37     Jan 8, 2007
  8. Hi gnome,

Just out of curiosity, why the utter discontent with operating systems other than the Microsoft (I don't know anything about Apple myself)? Have you used other systems before? What is actually wrong, in your opinion, with Linux? As you know, I think Linux is fantastic, so I'd be interested in hearing of your negative experience. Thanks.

-kt

#38     Jan 8, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

I don't have much of a gripe about Linux other than:
    1. Reviews claim it's not "user friendly" for most, it's much too involved to fix any problem, and only the low percentage of truly* geeky users get much worth from it. (I understand some enterprise is moving to it, but they've got dedicated IT to cope. Most users do not.)

2. Lots of software won't run on it. I know my primary trading stuff won't.

3. Just as I formerly was a "Win2K snob", many who use Linux are quick to pipe in "switch to Linux" as the solution to any problem a Windoz user has.... that's just childish.

I'm not a big fan of Windows either... lots to legitimately bitch about... I just see it as the lesser of evils for most of us. And in all honesty, I have very little trouble with Windows.

I don't really hate Linux, but I am highly annoyed by #3.... shouldn't be, though. Each to his own.

* defined this way so that I can continue to think of myself as still about one notch below "geek"

#39     Jan 8, 2007
  10. Hi, thanks.

You should try it. You just might like it.

I'm really not trying to inflame your #3, but in attempting to speak on behalf of other Linux users, I'll tell you that we feel that it's that good of an operating system experience; we simply want to enlighten Windows users of their alternatives (not to mention all the free openSource software).

And just to let you know, being a computer geek certainly is not a requirement to using it. I recently switched from Gentoo (geekiness required) to Kubuntu (Ubuntu sibling) and it has been completely (and literally) a "plug 'n play" experience. Quite honestly, much easier to work with than any experience I've ever had with Windows (I'll never go back).

Only trying to enlighten... Not to recruit :)
    -kt

#40     Jan 8, 2007